Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I need help with my 5 year old son's behavior in school!!! ASAP!!!

Posted by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 1:48 PM
  • 30 Replies
1 mom liked this

I am a single mother, raising two handsome boys (4&5). And im having so many problems with my 5 year olds behavior in school....I have been called up to the school a numerous of times! On top of that I have been at my sons school in his class for two months straight, sitting up there with him and helping him get through a day.This pass week I have started a new job so I'm no longer able to sit up at my sons school everyday all day except for Wednesdays. And I must say this week has been one of the worst! My mom has gone up to the school, a friend of the families have gone up to the school.  And this week he has hit the teacher, ran around the class, hit other students, and on Wednesday I was able to go up there myself and he ended up hitting me in his classroom... He was carried out of class, and sent home for his violent behavior. And im just lost on where i have failed my child, and what must I do so that my child will make it in this world. My options now are either, quitting my job so I can sit in class with him, or getting him home schooled or even sending him away to live with his father since  he has a two parent household and possibly more people who can go up to my child's school....I don't know, I need some advice!

by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 1:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 2:04 PM
1 mom liked this

When did your child turn 5?  Have you mentioned his behavior to a doctor?  Does he behave this way at home as well?  How do you discipline at home and does it work?

StephanieSH
by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 2:09 PM
2 moms liked this
Ask the school for an assessment. Depending on what they discover, he may need a one-on-one to assist him in the classroom.
Amanda471
by New Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 2:12 PM

Take him to your pediatrician asap, preferably after your work day is over so you don't miss more work.  This behavior could be fixable, like adjusting his diet, or it could be something more.  I know this is tough b/c you a single mom.  Are there any men in your life (like your dad, brother) who he can see as a older male mentor and spend time with?? That may really help him out, especially at this tender age.   Good luck to you and hugs, Momma.  

dreandtaemommy
by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 3:01 PM

Quoting steelcrazy:

When did your child turn 5?  Have you mentioned his behavior to a doctor?  Does he behave this way at home as well?  How do you discipline at home and does it work?

My son turned 5 June 8. He does not have this same behavior at home at all. This is all new behavior. I have not spoken to his primary doctor about the  behavior yet, but I think I will make him an appointment. He does go to Theraphy,which i know will take some time to show any approvements. But his last encounter with the theraphist, he ran away from her and hit her  as well. At home we usually take things away from him, which i think he is beyond, i also give him time out time or have him do work as far as writting his letters or numbers.

dreandtaemommy
by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 3:02 PM

Quoting StephanieSH: Ask the school for an assessment. Depending on what they discover, he may need a one-on-one to assist him in the classroom.

Ok I will definetely ask them. We did do a student success apointment last week. And we came up with the fact that he needs all of our support.

lenashark
by Bronze Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 3:03 PM

What kind of discipline does he receive when he behaves that way.

dreandtaemommy
by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 3:04 PM

Quoting Amanda471:

Take him to your pediatrician asap, preferably after your work day is over so you don't miss more work.  This behavior could be fixable, like adjusting his diet, or it could be something more.  I know this is tough b/c you a single mom.  Are there any men in your life (like your dad, brother) who he can see as a older male mentor and spend time with?? That may really help him out, especially at this tender age.   Good luck to you and hugs, Momma.  

Im planning on taking him to pediatrician ASAP, thanks for that advice. There is my brother that could mentor him. So we will try that out. Thank you!

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 3:04 PM
4 moms liked this

He's a young five and truthfully should have probably been redshirted.  Pull him.  Put him in a preK or transitional program and let him mature and then try again next year.

Quoting dreandtaemommy:

Quoting steelcrazy:

My son turned 5 June 8. He does not have this same behavior at home at all. This is all new behavior. I have not spoken to his primary doctor about the  behavior yet, but I think I will make him an appointment. He does go to Theraphy,which i know will take some time to show any approvements. But his last encounter with the theraphist, he ran away from her and hit her  as well. At home we usually take things away from him, which i think he is beyond, i also give him time out time or have him do work as far as writting his letters or numbers.

dreandtaemommy
by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 3:05 PM

Quoting lenashark:

What kind of discipline does he receive when he behaves that way.

We take  him out of school, bring him home.....make him go straight to bed. when he wakes up, have him write his letter, and numbers or name. We tried taking things away, but it just seems like he is over that stage.

dreandtaemommy
by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 3:07 PM

Quoting mjande4:

He's a young five and truthfully should have probably been redshirted.  Pull him.  Put him in a preK or transitional program and let him mature and then try again next year.

Quoting dreandtaemommy:

Quoting steelcrazy:

Its just sucks, because he is the smartest (not to pat myself on the back) in his class. Its the behavior that is really his problem. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)