Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

So my 8 year old daughter was just diagnosed with mild ADD...*edit*

Posted by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 2:15 PM
  • 25 Replies

...yesterday.  We are doing all we can and have been working with her teachers and doctors.  Ladies, I just need some support right now and to know there is a light at the end of this tunnel from those who have been in my shoes! :P  Gimme some good news, PLEASE!!   

**We just got back from a meeting with her teacher, IST teacher (instructional support) and principal.  We could see from the progress reports she is getting worse.  Her teacher handed me a timed test-20 questions to do in 1 1/2 minutes.  Easy 1st grade math and she is in 2nd grade.  She completed one out of 20 and that one problem was incorrect.  She knows that easy math and can do it and her teachers know it.  She's even getting after school tutoring at her grandma's which she loves.  She has a very loving, supportive, and stable home environment.  Her father and I are at a loss.  We just looked at that test with our mouths open.  Her dr was right, timed tests will be her downfall.  My husband said "I don't want to put her on meds, I just wanted to try more therapy first, but if she can't even focus enough to do an easy math test. maybe we should try a combimation of both and see what happens."  Wow.  I feel for her (I don't want her to lose her love of school) and her teachers at this point.  :(

by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 2:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 3:17 PM

I'm sure that you will all make it through this.  I have very little experience with ADD, so I can't off much help.  If you do a group search, there are many posts about diet changes that you may find useful.  Good luck!

mommy053008
by Maria on Jan. 16, 2014 at 4:08 PM
I have ADHD it is mild and can be controlled with medicine (however I rarely took mine). A lot of people say certain foods trigger the ADD more and others use medicine. I think it is up to you what you want to do. Good luck!
soymujer
by Mikki on Jan. 16, 2014 at 6:47 PM
1 mom liked this

My son was diagnosed with ADD just this time last year.  We put him on the medication and he did a 180 in school.  If you need to talk, feel free to message me.

family in the van   Mom of four

OHgirlinCA
by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 6:52 PM
1 mom liked this

With perseverance, you can find the right treatments and ways to help your child.  I have a son who has severe ADHD.  In middle school he was failing and was diagnosed.  He had very low self esteem and didn't have many friends.  Now, he's in high school and on the honor roll.  He is absolutely thriving and has done a complete 180.

ditsyjo
by Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 8:27 PM

I'm sure you will make it. I don't have much advice my daughter had ADHD symptoms until she was almost 6 but she did not have ADHD and her problem was solved by surgery

Amanda471
by New Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 8:30 PM

Quoting soymujer:

My son was diagnosed with ADD just this time last year.  We put him on the medication and he did a 180 in school.  If you need to talk, feel free to message me.

Can I ask you how old he was when you had him try the meds?  Rachel is only 8 and her pediatrician, school counselor and us as her paretns think she may be too young for meds.  We would like to try the cognitive behavior therapy because learning to control and focus her attention is a life skill.  One of her therapists said meds could help, though.  The meds turn off the urge to do all the fidgety things she does and light up the focuc center (frontal lobe area) of her brain.  But this cerebral area for her as an 8 year old isn't even fully developed yet.  Meds for a kid her age who has no other problems except for focus in the classroom scares me a little.  Put her in a small group or teach her one on one and I am amazed at what she knows and what she can do.  We have not ruled any treatments out, though.  We are trying to consider everything.  

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 8:31 PM

My oldest has ADHD. He was 1st diagnosed in 2nd gr, but we did not medicate at that point. We finally did the summer before he started 6th gr. He's in 9th gr now, and while we still have some issues, he has improved a lot.

MamiJaAyla
by Bronze Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 8:42 PM

I am a meds as last resort sorta person.  I LOVE LOVE LOVE their advice.  Yes some cognitive behavioral therapy start with that and THEN if needed add in the meds.  

My ds needs both.  

My dd seems like she might b/c her self esteem is starting to drop... of course she is also a dramama and I'm still not sure how much is real and how much is attention seeking.  

One of the drs. at my ds STP (Summer Treatment Camp) who btw, has done studies for different med. co etc. so he's def. not all no meds., said he really wished that drs. would start with a perscription for parent training/behavior program for at least 8 wks BEFORE ever mentioning meds.

I'm not against meds 100% shoot my ds takes Adderall and Intuniv BUT I also tried other options first.  

Quoting Amanda471:

Quoting soymujer:

Can I ask you how old he was when you had him try the meds?  Rachel is only 8 and her pediatrician, school counselor and us as her paretns think she may be too young for meds.  We would like to try the cognitive behavior therapy because learning to control and focus her attention is a life skill.  One of her therapists said meds could help, though.  The meds turn off the urge to do all the fidgety things she does and light up the focuc center (frontal lobe area) of her brain.  But this cerebral area for her as an 8 year old isn't even fully developed yet.  Meds for a kid her age who has no other problems except for focus in the classroom scares me a little.  Put her in a small group or teach her one on one and I am amazed at what she knows and what she can do.  We have not ruled any treatments out, though.  We are trying to consider everything.  

MamiJaAyla
by Bronze Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 8:50 PM

Re: when he started meds.  It was just b/f 3rd grade so I think he was about 8.

Quoting MamiJaAyla:

I am a meds as last resort sorta person.  I LOVE LOVE LOVE their advice.  Yes some cognitive behavioral therapy start with that and THEN if needed add in the meds.  

My ds needs both.  

My dd seems like she might b/c her self esteem is starting to drop... of course she is also a dramama and I'm still not sure how much is real and how much is attention seeking.  

One of the drs. at my ds STP (Summer Treatment Camp) who btw, has done studies for different med. co etc. so he's def. not all no meds., said he really wished that drs. would start with a perscription for parent training/behavior program for at least 8 wks BEFORE ever mentioning meds.

I'm not against meds 100% shoot my ds takes Adderall and Intuniv BUT I also tried other options first.  

Quoting Amanda471:

Quoting soymujer:

LovlyRita
by Silver Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 9:09 PM
1 mom liked this
My dd is ADHD. We are going med free for the next month to help her gain weight and grow, but wow, I had forgotten what she is like off her meds. The medication has made a huge difference for us. Since your daughter is only mild I would really focus on the positive. Reward charts and sticker charts to keep her on task. Dressed and ready for school by 7:30, get a star, etc. I have found that being outside or with animals calms my daughter so we frequently do homework at the park. We spend a lot of time outdoors. This summer we may be moving and I told my husband that if we move we are getting a pool so she can swim daily. Peace and order are very important. The louder I get the louder she gets. I hope this makes sense. Good Luck
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)