Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

WINNER ANNOUNCED! Q&A Giveaway! Ask the Expert: All About Dyslexia

Posted by on Jan. 17, 2014 at 11:04 AM
  • 203 Replies

Struggling to read can be frustrating for a child - and heartbreaking for a mom.  Our expert can help!

Elizabeth Hendrix is a Certified Academic Language Therapist who specializes in teaching dyslexic children how to read. As a parent, she knows that YOU are your child's best advocate - and that the most effective way to help your child succeed is to be as informed as possible. So start right here by asking Elizabeth your questions today!

By submitting your question in the replies below, you'll be automatically entered to win a $25 gift card!  One lucky mom will be selected at random!

Learn more about Elizabeth here. Check back in a couple weeks for Elizabeth's answers.

Thank you for joining us, Elizabeth!

reading

The Giveaway Rules:

The Ask the Expert Giveaway starts 1/17/2014 at 11am (ET) and ends 1/27/2014 at 10am (ET) (the "Giveaway Period"). Enter by replying to this post with an appropriate comment during the Giveaway Period.
Multiple entries are permitted and encouraged, as it increases your chances of winning. One winner will be selected in a random drawing of all eligible entries to receive a $25 Gift Card to Target, Walmart or Amazon.com.

The random drawing shall occur on or about 2/10/14. No Purchase Necessary. Open to US, DC, and PR residents 16 years and older. Void where prohibited. Click here for the rest of the Official Rules.
by on Jan. 17, 2014 at 11:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommy5912
by on Jan. 17, 2014 at 11:40 AM
How do I help my child at home? The school is giving me trouble getting her tested

buttercup627
by on Jan. 17, 2014 at 11:54 AM
My sd has severe dyslexia. What are some ways to practice reading on he own.

She lacks confidence and usually ends up crying even if she reads the word correctly. It's heart breaking; how do we foster her reading without her becoming so emotional
mrsbrand
by on Jan. 17, 2014 at 12:08 PM
2 moms liked this
I am dyslexic myself, are there warning signs I can watch for to get my children early intervention?
mrsbrand
by on Jan. 17, 2014 at 12:09 PM
2 moms liked this
As a dyslexic mom how can I still foster reading skills and a love for literature in my children?
K-Chan
by on Jan. 17, 2014 at 12:10 PM
As an adult I struggle with reading out loud because I mix letters up. I can read to myself just fine but when I read out loud I'll stumble over my words. How can I help teach my daughter good reading habits when I can't read out loud myself? Daddy does most of the reading now that she us wanting us to read bigger books to her.
matofour
by Bronze Member on Jan. 17, 2014 at 12:10 PM
Oh great one:)
My daughter is in fifth grade. Auditory and visual dyslexic. She will be going into middle school next year.
I am visiting the school soon to see what my options are for placement. But, I am worried she will get lost in the shuffle.
Her handwriting and spelling is atrocious. She is using an iPad at school for Many many things (note taking, writing papers, reading). But, I am not sure what other things I can ask to put in her Iep, or what else would be helpful for middle school.
We have had a great team, and she's had wonderful teachers this far. But, I know next year she will be switichng classes, and have at least seven teachers. How will I manage staying on top of the teachers to make sure they give her everything in her Iep, and help her to succeed?
K-Chan
by on Jan. 17, 2014 at 12:12 PM
I was told they wont test until 2nd or 3rd grade, is this true? I was never tested but struggle with reading out loud.
K-Chan
by on Jan. 17, 2014 at 12:19 PM
1 mom liked this
Is dysexia passed down from parents?
tuckermum
by on Jan. 17, 2014 at 12:23 PM
This.

Quoting mrsbrand: As a dyslexic mom how can I still foster reading skills and a love for literature in my children?
t1gger143
by Member on Jan. 17, 2014 at 1:06 PM
Ds is bombing every spelling test due to being disgraphic. I am also. How do I help him? P and b are the biggest problem.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)