Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

WINNER ANNOUNCED! Q&A Giveaway! Ask the Expert: All About Dyslexia

Posted by   + Show Post

Struggling to read can be frustrating for a child - and heartbreaking for a mom.  Our expert can help!

Elizabeth Hendrix is a Certified Academic Language Therapist who specializes in teaching dyslexic children how to read. As a parent, she knows that YOU are your child's best advocate - and that the most effective way to help your child succeed is to be as informed as possible. So start right here by asking Elizabeth your questions today!

By submitting your question in the replies below, you'll be automatically entered to win a $25 gift card!  One lucky mom will be selected at random!

Learn more about Elizabeth here. Check back in a couple weeks for Elizabeth's answers.

Thank you for joining us, Elizabeth!

reading

The Giveaway Rules:

The Ask the Expert Giveaway starts 1/17/2014 at 11am (ET) and ends 1/27/2014 at 10am (ET) (the "Giveaway Period"). Enter by replying to this post with an appropriate comment during the Giveaway Period.
Multiple entries are permitted and encouraged, as it increases your chances of winning. One winner will be selected in a random drawing of all eligible entries to receive a $25 Gift Card to Target, Walmart or Amazon.com.

The random drawing shall occur on or about 2/10/14. No Purchase Necessary. Open to US, DC, and PR residents 16 years and older. Void where prohibited. Click here for the rest of the Official Rules.
by on Jan. 17, 2014 at 11:04 AM
Replies (11-20):
usmchoney
by on Jan. 17, 2014 at 1:28 PM
My bf is dyslexic, how can I help him feel more confident with his reading, and college classes. Do they have services in college for.dyslexic students.
Dabberdoo
by on Jan. 17, 2014 at 1:41 PM
2 moms liked this
How does dyslexia manifest itself in regards to math and spelling?
Texasladybug84
by on Jan. 17, 2014 at 1:52 PM
What's the chances of our child being dyslexic since my hubby is?
fallen_angel231
by New Member on Jan. 17, 2014 at 2:13 PM

How do I go about getting her tested? Her Dad has dyslexia and there seem to be many simularities to the trouble he has and how she does things.  The school keeps saying she will grow out of it- ( no testing ) however it is making it very hard for her to keep up in class... 

tifferie
by on Jan. 17, 2014 at 3:35 PM
My dh has dyslexia and is dysgraphic. What are ways I can help him study so he can advance at work?
briellesmomma
by on Jan. 17, 2014 at 3:46 PM
Are there different kinds of dyslexia?

I've been trying to research but it's confusing. I have a dyslexic friend.
hobnobs
by on Jan. 17, 2014 at 4:02 PM
I'm dyslexic, my 4 year old has aprexia of speech.. Are they linked ? I can't find any evidence either way. Thanks
hobnobs
by on Jan. 17, 2014 at 4:05 PM
You might want to specify age. Younger kids throw tantrums.. Older kids switch numbers or letters etc:)

Quoting Dabberdoo: How does dyslexia manifest itself in regards to math and spelling?
diaperstodating
by Queen24Princes on Jan. 17, 2014 at 4:13 PM
How do we prepare for college? There will be no more IEP's in college... will he be able to receive accommodations? (My dyslectic son is a freshman in high school).
mickstinator
by on Jan. 17, 2014 at 4:14 PM

What typical childhood behavior is often misinterpreted as dyslexic? How can a parent know when her child is displaying abnormal signs instead of normal struggles? 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)