Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

WINNER ANNOUNCED! Q&A Giveaway! Ask the Expert: All About Dyslexia

Posted by   + Show Post

Struggling to read can be frustrating for a child - and heartbreaking for a mom.  Our expert can help!

Elizabeth Hendrix is a Certified Academic Language Therapist who specializes in teaching dyslexic children how to read. As a parent, she knows that YOU are your child's best advocate - and that the most effective way to help your child succeed is to be as informed as possible. So start right here by asking Elizabeth your questions today!

By submitting your question in the replies below, you'll be automatically entered to win a $25 gift card!  One lucky mom will be selected at random!

Learn more about Elizabeth here. Check back in a couple weeks for Elizabeth's answers.

Thank you for joining us, Elizabeth!

reading

The Giveaway Rules:

The Ask the Expert Giveaway starts 1/17/2014 at 11am (ET) and ends 1/27/2014 at 10am (ET) (the "Giveaway Period"). Enter by replying to this post with an appropriate comment during the Giveaway Period.
Multiple entries are permitted and encouraged, as it increases your chances of winning. One winner will be selected in a random drawing of all eligible entries to receive a $25 Gift Card to Target, Walmart or Amazon.com.

The random drawing shall occur on or about 2/10/14. No Purchase Necessary. Open to US, DC, and PR residents 16 years and older. Void where prohibited. Click here for the rest of the Official Rules.
by on Jan. 17, 2014 at 11:04 AM
Replies (31-40):
maxswolfsuit
by Max on Jan. 17, 2014 at 7:18 PM
1 mom liked this

Can you describe the evaluation process for diagnosing dyslexia?

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Jan. 17, 2014 at 7:19 PM

Can you give parents tips for determining the difference between dyslexia and typical developmental struggles?

MonkeysMother
by on Jan. 17, 2014 at 8:09 PM

I have dyslexia (thank goodness for auto correct and spell check). My son is struggling with reading and math but his school says boys are slow learners.  Could it be genetic?

sfigu16
by on Jan. 17, 2014 at 9:55 PM
I am always getting my numbers mixed up and have such a hard time in math classes. Is this a sign of dyslexia?

It feels like my brain gets scrambled!
Dabberdoo
by on Jan. 17, 2014 at 11:01 PM

Quoting hobnobs: You might want to specify age. Younger kids throw tantrums.. Older kids switch numbers or letters etc:)

Quoting Dabberdoo: How does dyslexia manifest itself in regards to math and spelling?

9   Boy.  We don't do temper tantrums.

ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Jan. 17, 2014 at 11:13 PM

Is it genetic? DH claims he has some issues with dsylexia but has never been diagnosed.

ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Jan. 17, 2014 at 11:14 PM

What are early signs?

virgoariesmama
by New Member on Jan. 18, 2014 at 12:01 AM

Are there any good tablet games for dyslexia my dd was in ot they used an ipad but dd has a nextbook and the letters reflexia game is only for ipads

virgoariesmama
by New Member on Jan. 18, 2014 at 12:03 AM

Is there correlation between dyslexia and vision problems? My DD's eyes over focus causing her eyes to bounce she has glasses I was just wondering if there's a connection

briellesmomma
by on Jan. 18, 2014 at 12:36 AM
My guy friend has it. Makes it hard to process words when reading or hearing them or are least that's from what i gathered.

Quoting PortiaRose: I dont even know what the hell it ie to begin with.

Quoting briellesmomma: Are there different kinds of dyslexia?

I've been trying to research but it's confusing. I have a dyslexic friend.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)