Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

WINNER ANNOUNCED! Q&A Giveaway! Ask the Expert: All About Dyslexia

Posted by   + Show Post

Struggling to read can be frustrating for a child - and heartbreaking for a mom.  Our expert can help!

Elizabeth Hendrix is a Certified Academic Language Therapist who specializes in teaching dyslexic children how to read. As a parent, she knows that YOU are your child's best advocate - and that the most effective way to help your child succeed is to be as informed as possible. So start right here by asking Elizabeth your questions today!

By submitting your question in the replies below, you'll be automatically entered to win a $25 gift card!  One lucky mom will be selected at random!

Learn more about Elizabeth here. Check back in a couple weeks for Elizabeth's answers.

Thank you for joining us, Elizabeth!

reading

The Giveaway Rules:

The Ask the Expert Giveaway starts 1/17/2014 at 11am (ET) and ends 1/27/2014 at 10am (ET) (the "Giveaway Period"). Enter by replying to this post with an appropriate comment during the Giveaway Period.
Multiple entries are permitted and encouraged, as it increases your chances of winning. One winner will be selected in a random drawing of all eligible entries to receive a $25 Gift Card to Target, Walmart or Amazon.com.

The random drawing shall occur on or about 2/10/14. No Purchase Necessary. Open to US, DC, and PR residents 16 years and older. Void where prohibited. Click here for the rest of the Official Rules.
by on Jan. 17, 2014 at 11:04 AM
Replies (41-50):
MMIC
by on Jan. 18, 2014 at 7:21 AM
I think I may have dyslexia but not sure because I do it with numbers? I say numbers backwards all the time. Is that a form of dyslexia?
incheck4real
by on Jan. 18, 2014 at 7:38 AM
My 11 year old son is severely dyslexic. He can hardly spell or read. Do you think the program reading horizons would help him? I am just at a loss of what to do to help him.
littleelmmom13
by on Jan. 18, 2014 at 10:40 AM
My son is dyslexic, how can i help him at home with this? He's 9 and in the third grade
firemom5906
by Member on Jan. 18, 2014 at 10:50 AM
I am worried my daughter might be. How old before they should be tested?
firemom5906
by Member on Jan. 18, 2014 at 10:55 AM
I do the same thing. Have my whole life. Math was and is a struggle for me. I have always wondered the same.

Quoting MMIC: I think I may have dyslexia but not sure because I do it with numbers? I say numbers backwards all the time. Is that a form of dyslexia?
Precious333
by Bronze Member on Jan. 18, 2014 at 10:57 AM
1 mom liked this
I know its normal for a child to write and confuse some letters, like "d" and "b", but at what age should you expect this to correct itself?
sorcha1945
by on Jan. 18, 2014 at 12:02 PM
I have dyslexia. Thanks to my first grade teacher for catching it early and those in the reading lab for helping me I show no signs of it. I excel at math and deal with numbers all day and LOVE to read. So no questions but thank you for what you do!
Constant_Reader
by New Member on Jan. 18, 2014 at 1:22 PM
My 11 yr old daughter has Irlen Miers Syndrome. Last year she had much success with colored overlays. This year she doesnt want to use them at all. She has the worst case of -i cant so I wont read-. Even her teachers say she could do better if she wanted too. Have you any ways to offer motivation to a child that has decided she doesnt need reading? Maybe some real life situations to place her in to stress the importance of reading in "real life"?
KellBell0820
by on Jan. 18, 2014 at 2:40 PM
My 7 year old daughter is having a lot of trouble in school. She seems to have a lot of symptoms of dyslexia and/or dysgraphia but the school is giving me a hard about having her tested. They insist she's not doing bad enough to be tested but is doing bad enough to be held back in 1st grade again. They wanted to hold her back in kindergarten too but passed her because "she knew too much". Is there anything I can do to help her?
aerobusmom2006
by on Jan. 18, 2014 at 8:30 PM
My son is 7 and just diagnosed as developmentally dyslexic, having a heck of a time with reading and spelling. He is quite intelligent but only at the K level in reading. Can he be held back because of his dyslexia?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)