Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Her glasses were broke

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2014 at 12:21 AM
  • 41 Replies

I went and picked dd up from school early today to go to the dentist she looked upset I asked her what was wrong and she told me her glasses got broke, I asked how and she said they fell off and hit the floor. My fil was with us and when he seen them he asked her what happened and she told him the same thing she told me, the thing is when we got going dd was watching a movie with headphones on and fil told me there was no way they could have fell off her face and broke the way they did he said there was force involved. Apparently they were broke early in the day and her teacher just threw them in a ziplock baggie and threw them in her book bag, I'm so mad that I didn't get a call I could have got them to her eye doctor and they would could have ordered replacements that would have been here in a few days but instead I had to wait until we got back in town from the dentist and now her glasses won't be in for a week or 2. DD can not read without her glasses and failed a test today since she didn't have them she is dyslexic and her eyes bounce causing her to not be able to properly concentrate since everything bounces. She will end up failing her spelling test next week all because her teacher couldn't take 5 minutes of her lunch to call me so I could get replacements ordered sooner. Everyone knows she can't read without them its in her school file, I need to get an extra pair for her but can't until next month when I get income tax I'm just so fed up with their b.s this isn't the first time something like this has happened dd didn't realize she didn't need to wear them in gym and some little boy intentionally hit her in the face and scratched the lenses, she wears them at recess to try to strengthen her eyes and was playing on the swings when a kit hit her in the face with a ball and knocked her glasses off and her 2 front teeth looser. I'm at my wits end with her school I'm considering homeschooling her just so this stuff can be avoided.

by on Jan. 18, 2014 at 12:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
StephanieSH
by on Jan. 18, 2014 at 12:32 AM
Can the teacher give her the tests verbally until her glasses are fixed?
virgoariesmama
by New Member on Jan. 18, 2014 at 12:37 AM

The school won't allow her to cause she would have to do that for all the other kids

Quoting StephanieSH: Can the teacher give her the tests verbally until her glasses are fixed?

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Jan. 18, 2014 at 12:38 AM
1 mom liked this

Yeah DD's teacher emailed me as soon as hers broke so we got her into the eye doctor asap.  I was not sure if dd was due for a new exam or not so we did that and she had to wait 3 weeks for her new glasses.   Could you get her Rx and find one of the places that do one hour processing for glasses?

anotherandree
by Bronze Member on Jan. 18, 2014 at 12:38 AM
2 moms liked this
This is a great idea. Also deciding to pull a child out of school is a big deal. I would make an appointment with the principal to stress the importance of her glasses and being called if something happens. If you are unhappy with the teacher, seek a resolution through the next chain of command.

Quoting StephanieSH: Can the teacher give her the tests verbally until her glasses are fixed?
StephanieSH
by on Jan. 18, 2014 at 12:42 AM
Not necessarily. Does she have an IEP?

Quoting virgoariesmama:

The school won't allow her to cause she would have to do that for all the other kids

Melbornj
by Member on Jan. 18, 2014 at 12:43 AM
1 mom liked this
It's just one of those things that happen when your little one wears glasses. Back ups are a must.
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jan. 18, 2014 at 12:43 AM
6 moms liked this

So if you ordered the glasses earlier today, you'd have them back in a few days.  But since you were forced to wait until later this afternoon, it will take two weeks to get the glasses?  Really? Why does a few hours make a difference of over a week?

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Jan. 18, 2014 at 12:46 AM

This is exactly what I was going to type! Thanks for saving me the trouble!

Quoting steelcrazy:

So if you ordered the glasses earlier today, you'd have them back in a few days.  But since you were forced to wait until later this afternoon, it will take two weeks to get the glasses?  Really? Why does a few hours make a difference of over a week?

JasonsMom2007
by Silver Member on Jan. 18, 2014 at 12:51 AM
My son's glasses will take 2 weeks to come in. We just got him a back-up pair. How would ordering them a few hours earlier make that big of a difference?
How broken are they? Any way to tape them together or something until her new ones come?
StephanieSH
by on Jan. 18, 2014 at 1:21 AM
1 mom liked this
Or does she have a 504? Maybe she can get a temporary disability accommodation.

Quoting virgoariesmama:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN