Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

So upset about my child in Kindergarten!

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2014 at 9:14 AM
  • 43 Replies

My five year old who is in kindergarten cries hysterically every morning before school and when I drop her off. It just breaks my heart and I'm lost on what to do. She literally hides in the house so I cant find her and will drop to the entrance at school crying mommy. I know she has a great teacher (she never complains about her) we discuss my daughter and the behavior on a weekly basis. I've talked with the counselor and ways to help her but nothing seems to be working.

I'm starting to think maybe it's on my end I'm a sahm and she just wants to be with me (very attached) when she gets home there is really no structure here for her like there is at school. She watches tv as she pleases, plays with her toys and goes out back to play whenever (weather permitting). Does her own thing I shall say. I have two older teens whom I have never had to deal with this. Almost 6 months into the school year and I'm lost. Any other mothers gone through this?teacher

by on Jan. 21, 2014 at 9:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 9:24 AM
6 moms liked this

It sounds like she is suffering from seperation anxiety.  The school counselor should be able to talk with your dd about it. 

My advice to you is to keep dropping her off at school, but don't make it a long drawn out process.  A quick hug and kiss, see ya later, and walk away.  Don't talk about how much you are going to miss her, don't go on and on about how much fun school will be, etc.  The more that you engage her, the more that she will scream and have a fit in an effort to get you to change your mind.  After school, talk about her day, but try hard to not go on about how much you missed her.  You may also want to try to get a little more structure in the home.  I'm with you on living free and loose, but it does make school easier when there is structure in the home.  We have a routine during the school year and live free and loose over long breaks and the sumer.

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 9:25 AM
1 mom liked this

I agree with Steel.  You really need to not be as available and provide a lot more structure for her.  Also, if she is a young five, then this could be contributing too.

vermontmoms
by Silver Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 9:41 AM
When is her birthday? How long is kindergarten (full day or half)? Did she go to pre-school?

charleyangel317
by on Jan. 21, 2014 at 9:52 AM
3 moms liked this

My cousin did with her youngest. What she did was decided to make the same type of schedule at home as school. She talked to the teacher (like you are) and worked something out so that the two pretty much coincided. It took about a month for her to get into that new routine but now she is in the 3rd grade and doing great.

momoftwo1980
by on Jan. 21, 2014 at 10:30 AM

Quoting vermontmoms: When is her birthday? How long is kindergarten (full day or half)? Did she go to pre-school?

She will be 6 in August. Kinder is all day long. She attended pre-k which was half day and we didnt have this problem then when the days were shorter.

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 10:38 AM
3 moms liked this

Yeh.  She's REALLY young for kindergarten.  You might want to think about putting her back in preK and trying again if it's this difficult.  She most likely is nearly 1-2 years younger then the rest of the kids and that makes a HUGE difference.

Quoting momoftwo1980:

Quoting vermontmoms: When is her birthday? How long is kindergarten (full day or half)? Did she go to pre-school?

She will be 6 in August. Kinder is all day long. She attended pre-k which was half day and we didnt have this problem then when the days were shorter.

alexsmomaubrys2
by Silver Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 10:42 AM

I agree with this. She obviously isn't emotionally ready for Kindergarten yet. There isn't any reason why she can't spend another year or two home with you until she is ready for school. 

My kids didn't attend kindergarten, my DS didn't attend first grade either because he wasn't emotionally ready for it. He went into 2nd grade and did really great. He is in 3rd now and loves it. 

You have to do what is right for your daughter and right now she needs to be home with you.

Quoting mjande4:

Yeh.  She's REALLY young for kindergarten.  You might want to think about putting her back in preK and trying again if it's this difficult.  She most likely is nearly 1-2 years younger then the rest of the kids and that makes a HUGE difference.

Quoting momoftwo1980:

”Nonsense wakes up the brain cells. And it helps develop a sense of humor, which is awfully important in this day and age.” - Dr. Seuss. 

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 10:50 AM
2 moms liked this

I agree with the other ladies, she is really young and I would pull her out of school.  However, you will have to set up a schedule at home and stick wth it.  You will also need to enroll her in a pre-k program and possibly get her involved in some sort of extracurricular to get her used to being away from mommy.

momoftwo1980
by on Jan. 21, 2014 at 10:56 AM
1 mom liked this

I have considered homeschooling her until next year than either putting her back into kindergaten or 1st grade. But my SO thinks we might be doing more damage by allowing her to stay home with me. Where I'm located Kinder is not required unless we already have enrolled them than its mandatory they attend. Thank you ladies for all your amazing advice, it truly helps!

Quoting alexsmomaubrys2:

I agree with this. She obviously isn't emotionally ready for Kindergarten yet. There isn't any reason why she can't spend another year or two home with you until she is ready for school. 

My kids didn't attend kindergarten, my DS didn't attend first grade either because he wasn't emotionally ready for it. He went into 2nd grade and did really great. He is in 3rd now and loves it. 

You have to do what is right for your daughter and right now she needs to be home with you.

Quoting mjande4:

Quoting momoftwo1980:

alexsmomaubrys2
by Silver Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 10:58 AM
2 moms liked this

By pulling her out you are validating her feelings and giving her power over her situation. It is very important for young children, especially girls to be given that power. It will be great for your bond with her too. 

Please consider it. She is obviously miserable and is literally crying out for more time to be a kid and to be with you!! 

Quoting momoftwo1980:

I have considered homeschooling her until next year than either putting her back into kindergaten or 1st grade. But my SO thinks we might be doing more damage by allowing her to stay home with me. Where I'm located Kinder is not required unless we already have enrolled them than its mandatory they attend. Thank you ladies for all your amazing advice, it truly helps!

Quoting alexsmomaubrys2:

Quoting mjande4:

Quoting momoftwo1980:

”Nonsense wakes up the brain cells. And it helps develop a sense of humor, which is awfully important in this day and age.” - Dr. Seuss. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN