Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Winter Rant

Posted by on Jan. 22, 2014 at 7:24 AM
  • 50 Replies

Here in Indiana, and many other parts of the country, we are seeing the worst winter in 30 years.  Right now it an actual temperature of -1 as I am getting ready to send my daughter to the bus.  Yesterday we had a two hour delay due to weather and road conditions.  It actually was a huge pain because it messed up everyone's schedule.  However, tonight the windchill is going to get down to -30. Should they cancel school tomorrow?  

I would much rather have my kid go to school an extra day in May than have to worry about frostbitten hands, schools with burst pipes, buses running late or getting stuck, etc.  A two-hour-delay won't really help things tomorrow because the temperature isn't going to rise much throughout the day.

Now my daughter does have the option to wait in my heated car at the bus stop, but that is not true for many, many other children.  It just seems dangerous to me.

by on Jan. 22, 2014 at 7:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wakymom
by Ruby Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 7:29 AM

I'm in IN, too. Dh drove ds1 to the h.s. bus stop this morning (1 central stop for all the h.s. kids) and said it was like a mini traffic jam w/ all the parents parked there w/ kids in the cars. Dd's bus driver will pick her up in front of the house, so I can keep her inside until the last min, but ds2 has to go down the street a few houses (2 diff. elementaries). It's a bit harder to judge "the last min" w/ him.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 8:28 AM

I feel ya.  Here in Western PA we currently have a still air temp of -6*. We are having some of the coldest temps that we've ever had.  Snow wise though, we are just about average.

My boys are on a 2 hour delay this morning and I will go batshit crazy if they end up with school being cancelled.  I'm not a fan of cancelling school unless it is absolutely necessary.  Not to mention that when they cancel school, I have to scramble to rearrange my schedule.  My phone rings like crazy as my friends and I figure out who is working today, who can keep kids, who needs child care, and who is fine on their own but can't take on more kids.  I really hate scrambling around in the morning.

snowangel1979
by Bronze Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 8:40 AM
I'm in Michigan. The temp is -9 right now, not including the wind chill.

Here I think they're trying to do everything to not cancel school because we are already at the limit for snow days and winter isn't close to being done.

I'm not sure how I feel about it. Part of me doesn't like him being out in this cold but the other part kinda knows June 1st everyone kinda checks out from school. LOL. We have the option of adding minutes to our days instead of making up days but you can only add so many minutes.
I've been sending DS out at the last possible minute and he looks like the kid from Christmas story. LOL. (in winter I can see the bus around the corner) My front door knob is actually frozen right now. LOL.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ljmom24
by Silver Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 8:47 AM

I am just outside boston and its currently 7 with a windchill of -12. They were predicting a big snow fall so school got called off at 2pm yesterday. By 10pm down graded to 3-6 and with less then 3 inches on the ground we have a "snow day" I am NOT happy. Its not even February and we have SOOO many more weeks of potention bad weather. This makes snow day 3 which leaves 2 more before they have to extend and since they can't pay teachers after July 1 because of the fiscal year that leaves us 1 week to play with it in june and our town is lucky we started the week before labor day. Others start after and will need to go on weekends or loss April vacation if this keeps up. I am all for a warrented snow day but they pulled the trigger too soon.

PaganKitty67
by Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 8:50 AM
1 mom liked this

We are also in IN. I am hating this weather. We usually have pretty mild winters with maybe one or two big snowfalls. The kids have had 6 snow days already this year, They got just about an extra week of winter break. Today it was -4 when it was time to get on the bus. The bus stops right in front of our house so when  it is this cold out I wait until I see the bus and then send them out. Today the bus was 15 minutes late because the train was stopped on the tracks and it had to go around, Their bus has gotten stuck twice this year. The roads are awful and the plows don't really go out much because it is drifting so bad that the roads keep getting covered.

coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 8:56 AM
We're outside of Philly, I just heard on the radio it's -23. We have at least 12" of now here and school is closed. This makes the 3rd day in a row the kids and I be home together (I'm working from home). I'm tired of snow days.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GwenMB
by Gwen on Jan. 22, 2014 at 9:59 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm in MN & don't think this winter is any worse than any other.  If anything, it might be slightly better because we've had a few warmer than normal days in January.  The weather you're all talking about it pretty normal for us.

Welcome to my reality! lol

Barabell
by Barbara on Jan. 22, 2014 at 10:35 AM
I was thinking too that that stuff didn't sound unusual for a winter. We are supposed to get down to -30 with windchill tonight. School won't be cancelled or delayed, and neither will my son's hockey practice that's scheduled late in the evening tonight.

Quoting GwenMB:

I'm in MN & don't think this winter is any worse than any other.  If anything, it might be slightly better because we've had a few warmer than normal days in January.  The weather you're all talking about it pretty normal for us.

Welcome to my reality! lol

suetoo
by Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 10:46 AM

Same here in WNY. -3 right now. 

cjsmom1
by Silver Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 10:49 AM
I'm in Berks county and they canceled

Quoting steelcrazy:

I feel ya.  Here in Western PA we currently have a still air temp of -6*. We are having some of the coldest temps that we've ever had.  Snow wise though, we are just about average.

My boys are on a 2 hour delay this morning and I will go batshit crazy if they end up with school being cancelled.  I'm not a fan of cancelling school unless it is absolutely necessary.  Not to mention that when they cancel school, I have to scramble to rearrange my schedule.  My phone rings like crazy as my friends and I figure out who is working today, who can keep kids, who needs child care, and who is fine on their own but can't take on more kids.  I really hate scrambling around in the morning.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN