Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

If you work and school is delay what do u do?PIOG

Posted by on Jan. 22, 2014 at 8:51 AM
  • 21 Replies
So your child is going into school late, you have no one to leave the kids with what do you do? I'm trying to picture every scenario for when I move and I'm all alone in another state.
by on Jan. 22, 2014 at 8:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
disneymom2two
by Silver Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 9:08 AM

I'm a teacher so if the kids go in late, so do I.  My friends who have private sector jobs either make friends with their neighbors or call work saying they'll be late.  

gregheather
by Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 9:18 AM

If you work you will need daycare at some point (spring breaks and summer vacations, holidays from school) - so I just take my DD to her babysitter's and she gets on the bus from there.

ETA - Our school has never had a delayed start - all of the schools in town (public and private) depend on our school buses so they either have school or no school. If the weather is getting bad they might get out early, but that has only happened a couple of times.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 9:19 AM

I have a good group of friends and we help each other out and cover for each other.  Although I have to admit that all of the early morning phone calls and messaging is a bit of a PITA.

Delays aren't as big of a problem to cover as cancellations.  No body wants to be stuck home all day with 6-8 boys.  lol

mommaFruFru
by Gold Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 9:23 AM
I don't work. But I watch all my friends children when there are delays or closings, if their normal child care( or if they don't use ut) can't.

The last 2 days we've had no school.... and there are 11 children here!!!
coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 9:45 AM
I can work from home so it's not an issue for me. Will you have that option at all? Yesterday schools closed early but the after school program was still available. Not sure it works for late openings as I haven't needed it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Dodie702
by Doriane on Jan. 22, 2014 at 11:54 AM
Make some friends with kids that go to the same school. Then you can ask them for help.
disneymom2two
by Silver Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 11:59 AM

If our school closes early or opens late due to weather the before/after school program isn't available.  

Quoting coolmommy2x: I can work from home so it's not an issue for me. Will you have that option at all? Yesterday schools closed early but the after school program was still available. Not sure it works for late openings as I haven't needed it.

coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 12:18 PM
I didn't know they were open until after I picked DD up.

Quoting disneymom2two:

If our school closes early or opens late due to weather the before/after school program isn't available.  

Quoting coolmommy2x: I can work from home so it's not an issue for me. Will you have that option at all? Yesterday schools closed early but the after school program was still available. Not sure it works for late openings as I haven't needed it.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
disneymom2two
by Silver Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 12:27 PM

If an early release is planned due to weather, parents are told then that there'll be no after school program (they do have it for inservice half days).  If the early release is unplanned because a storm moved in quicker than expected, an all call is sent out that kids will be sent home on the bus and the parents of those who go to afterschool program are called to tell there will be no program.  Either the parents okay sending them to a neighbor or they leave work right away and get there as soon as possible; the principal stays with the kids until they get picked up.

Quoting coolmommy2x: I didn't know they were open until after I picked DD up.

Quoting disneymom2two:

theresaphilly
by Silver Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 12:43 PM

Me and a other few working mom have a great relationship with a SAHM and she is very dependable and gracious to leave our children with her if we have to get to work early, stay late or emergencies. That is why I tell work out of the home mommas to have a great support team that involves SAHM. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)