Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Science Fair Ideas?

Posted by on Jan. 22, 2014 at 5:38 PM
  • 13 Replies

He really likes math. It is a STEM fair. All we can think that has math is probability. Does anyone have a better idea? Or have a good resource?

by on Jan. 22, 2014 at 5:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 5:51 PM

Whose STEM fair project is it? 

Talk to that person about what they want to do.  It is their fair project so they should be the one deciding what to do.

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 6:33 PM

How about measurements of things?  That is math based as well.   What grade is he in?

geekymom08
by Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 6:44 PM
This. Depending on his age, you could do the size or weight of items. Compare them to other things... To give kids knowledge they find fun!

Example: he could pick his favorite things like a species of animal and compare it to his size and weight. Then compare himself to something else.

Or

If he is older, how much do you weigh in our Solar system? Compare how much he weighs on each planet and show how he got the numbers.

There are so many ideas for math!

Quoting frndlyfn:

How about measurements of things?  That is math based as well.   What grade is he in?

Verrine
by Bronze Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 6:45 PM

4th grade. Measurements is a good idea. The intro for the parents is on Tuesday. 

Quoting frndlyfn:

Verrine
by Bronze Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 6:49 PM

I want him to have a starting point. Otherwise, he'll spend too long thinking about what to do and not enough time doing it. A lot of my projects were last-minute and I'm trying to instill better work habits LOL.

Quoting steelcrazy: Whose STEM fair project is it? 

Talk to that person about what they want to do.  It is their fair project so they should be the one deciding what to do.

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 6:51 PM

YW.   He could also time things but for me that is harder to figure out than measurements.   I think doing the experiment of seeing which is denser than water and what is lighter than water could be too simple for him.

Quoting Verrine:

4th grade. Measurements is a good idea. The intro for the parents is on Tuesday. 

Quoting frndlyfn:

Verrine
by Bronze Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 6:52 PM

That was his sister's first suggestion. Actually she said "see what floats" and I thought balloons.

Quoting frndlyfn:

YW.   He could also time things but for me that is harder to figure out than measurements.   I think doing the experiment of seeing which is denser than water and what is lighter than water could be too simple for him.

Quoting Verrine:

Quoting frndlyfn:

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 6:54 PM

quite a few things float in water.....  We had science day at the library this past weekend so we learned alot of things.

Quoting Verrine:

That was his sister's first suggestion. Actually she said "see what floats" and I thought balloons.

Quoting frndlyfn:

Quoting Verrine:

Quoting frndlyfn:

M4LG5
by Gold Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 6:55 PM

My daughter loves sports so she did a project on heart rates in sports.  She picked several different sports and kids' activities, wore a heart rate monitor (or you can stop and check if you don't have one) and checked at different times.  She did resting, 5 minutes, 15 minutes, and then 30 minutes (or something like that).  No one else did that which was fun for her.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 8:39 PM

I would rather my child come up with the idea and I help him when he gets stuck as opposed to it being my idea.  Kids tend to work harder and take more pride in a project that was their idea instead of something that their mommy told them to do.

Quoting Verrine:

I want him to have a starting point. Otherwise, he'll spend too long thinking about what to do and not enough time doing it. A lot of my projects were last-minute and I'm trying to instill better work habits LOL.

Quoting steelcrazy: Whose STEM fair project is it? 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN