Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

My oldest dd was tested for dyslexia on Friday. Update.........

Posted by on Jan. 22, 2014 at 6:43 PM
  • 8 Replies

And getting the results is going to be a long wait. I am glad that after 2 years of fighting with the school my dd finally got a teacher that recognized some signs. I hope the test comes back soon so I can start getting her the help she needs, she does really good in school and works hard for her grades but I want her to continue to succeed. I know my dd will do good, I am so proud of her, she is a strong little girl considering her learning and language disabilities.

Update: 1-23, this is why I don't discuss my children's education with my in laws.......we got the results back today, my dd is dyslexic. Now I need to fill out paper work and set up a meeting with the teachers to discuss how they will accomidate her. My dd just told her grandpa and uncle, her grandpa just said that she is lazy, and her uncle rolled his eyes......then my fil called my dd to him and asked her what some words were, he picked "free" and "all" for her to read, she is in second grade not pre-k.......so he said that since she can read those words with no problems that she isn't dyslexic. My dd gets good grades considering, her averages are in the 80's and 90's, she does struggle and is behind in reading obviously, but I guess that because she is a normal little girl with an attitude than there is nothing wrong with her period.......either way, with me being her parent and wanting whats best for her, now that I have this answer I can do my research and try different things to help her until we find something that works, screw what everyone else thinks.

by on Jan. 22, 2014 at 6:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Verrine
by Bronze Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 6:53 PM

GOOD. It can be very hard for kids who are struggling but not troublemakers to get services. I'm glad she has a mom who is looking out for her.

mamavalor
by Bronze Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 6:56 PM

Yay, for you and your dd.

DrDoofenshmirtz
by Silver Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 7:28 PM
1 mom liked this

It's tricky as they really don't test kids until 2nd grade as the signs can be normal prior to that and some kids mask them very well.

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 8:10 PM

Glad you were able to get her tested. Hope you don't have to wait too long for the results!

rmfanfgljf
by Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 8:09 PM

bump

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 8:14 PM

Sorry your in-laws are being such a pita about her diagnosis. Good for you for fighting her!

JasonsMom2007
by Silver Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 8:21 PM

Good for you!  You might get her checked for visual tracking and processing by a developmental eye doctor as well.  Ours has been a huge wealth of information.  I was once told my son is dyslexic but I didn't believe it for one minute.  Not saying she isn't but if there's more going on they'll be able to help you catch it :)

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 9:24 PM

Remember the IEP process is often much longer than you expect, so don't get upset if it takes longer to get the meeting scheduled and the accomodations in place than you are hoping for.  Remember to make all requests in writing, whether it be pen and paper or email, so that you have a paper trail just in case you need it later.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)