Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Does your child do this?

Posted by on Jan. 26, 2014 at 10:06 AM
  • 44 Replies

What do you think?

by on Jan. 26, 2014 at 10:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mjande4
by Platinum Member on Jan. 26, 2014 at 10:09 AM

Yes to all.  My kids have been doing chores since they were toddlers.  Now that they are older and I am older and slower they are VERY useful.  :-)

toriandgrace
by Bronze Member on Jan. 26, 2014 at 10:19 AM
Yes and no. I'm really bad about not having set chores for my kids, but that do help with tasks whenever asked.
toriandgrace
by Bronze Member on Jan. 26, 2014 at 10:23 AM
1 mom liked this
And I've seen a lot of people scoff at the 2-3 year old carrying firewood, but that's my toddler's favorite job. I bring it in from the deck and drop it in a laundry basket (so I can get more in at a time without tracking snow in) then he helps me push it over to the fireplace and he stacks it. It's so cute. I think he loves it so much because he's otherwise not allowed to help with the fire in any way.
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jan. 26, 2014 at 10:45 AM

When we go camping, it is the youngest child's job to get the firewood out of the back of the truck and stack it neatly.  They are always very excited to have this job.  Little kids want to help, it makes them feel important and if you take advantage of that, you will then have older kids who help without any fuss since it is completely normal to them to help with chores.

Quoting toriandgrace: And I've seen a lot of people scoff at the 2-3 year old carrying firewood, but that's my toddler's favorite job. I bring it in from the deck and drop it in a laundry basket (so I can get more in at a time without tracking snow in) then he helps me push it over to the fireplace and he stacks it. It's so cute. I think he loves it so much because he's otherwise not allowed to help with the fire in any way.

Andrewsmom70
by Gold Member on Jan. 26, 2014 at 11:16 AM

Yep. I am not sure I would want a 7 year old peeling potatoes/carrots but I guess it would be ok with supervision. But most of that other stuff I've had my son doing for a while for sure.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jan. 26, 2014 at 11:23 AM
1 mom liked this

My boys were both closer to 10 when I had them first peel potatos.  The first time is always funny because it takes them forever to peel just one potato.  lol

Quoting Andrewsmom70:

Yep. I am not sure I would want a 7 year old peeling potatoes/carrots but I guess it would be ok with supervision. But most of that other stuff I've had my son doing for a while for sure.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jan. 26, 2014 at 11:25 AM
1 mom liked this

Sounds like you need the Hurry Cane for Mother's Day.  LMAO

I completely get what you mean though.  I love using those young arms and legs on a very regular basis.  Their future wives will thank me.

Quoting mjande4:

Yes to all.  My kids have been doing chores since they were toddlers.  Now that they are older and I am older and slower they are VERY useful.  :-)

Andrewsmom70
by Gold Member on Jan. 26, 2014 at 11:25 AM

My son is 8 and he hasn't peeled veggies yet. I guess I might try it out sometime soon and see how he does. Lol

Quoting steelcrazy:

My boys were both closer to 10 when I had them first peel potatos.  The first time is always funny because it takes them forever to peel just one potato.  lol

Quoting Andrewsmom70:

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jan. 26, 2014 at 11:28 AM
2 moms liked this

It is slightly torturous to watch, but I'm sure that it is good for fine motor skill development and hand/eye coordination.

Quoting Andrewsmom70:

My son is 8 and he hasn't peeled veggies yet. I guess I might try it out sometime soon and see how he does. Lol

Quoting steelcrazy:

Quoting Andrewsmom70:

Andrewsmom70
by Gold Member on Jan. 26, 2014 at 11:29 AM

I'm betting my son will get frustrated very quickly. It's his way when something doesn't come easily to him.

Quoting steelcrazy:

It is slightly torturous to watch, but I'm sure that it is good for fine motor skill development and hand/eye coordination.

Quoting Andrewsmom70:

Quoting steelcrazy:

Quoting Andrewsmom70:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)