Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

fun ways to get my child to do homework??..

Posted by on Jan. 26, 2014 at 9:28 PM
  • 30 Replies

my son is 5 years old and started full day kindergarten this year at first he loved school and loved doing the work but now he doesnt want nothing to with it. he gives me  pretty hard time trying to get him to do homework does anyone have any advise on trying to make it fun for him to get his homework done??..

by on Jan. 26, 2014 at 9:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jan. 26, 2014 at 9:47 PM

Do you have an after school routine?  If not, set one up and stick to it.  Sometimes just having a routine is enough to make getting things done easier.

StephanieSH
by on Jan. 26, 2014 at 9:54 PM
I also used to break it up and do one page when he got home, another page a little later etc
mommy053008
by Maria on Jan. 26, 2014 at 10:02 PM
I would allow him to have some free play at home then homework works for my friends daughter. My daughter doesn't have homework in kindergarten.
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Jan. 26, 2014 at 10:05 PM

What kinds of homework does he have?   We usually have dd do hers as soon as she comes home so that we can do fun things afterwards.  There have been a few times where we took the homework to library and used one of their study rooms for less distractions.

ambrossious2000
by on Jan. 26, 2014 at 10:08 PM

My kids were in headstart we used to to do spelling words in jello have your son write his words in jello and lick his fingers after.

LoVeMyLiLjBuG
by Member on Jan. 26, 2014 at 10:09 PM

Quoting steelcrazy:

Do you have an after school routine?  If not, set one up and stick to it.  Sometimes just having a routine is enough to make getting things done easier.

i used to have my son do his homework as soon as he came home from school but he was so exhausted from school all day and then wouldnt want anything to with it so i started having him do it later on..

PeggyS87
by Member on Jan. 26, 2014 at 10:09 PM
My son got a hw packet on mon due fri we do a sticker chart and once its full there is a treat
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jan. 26, 2014 at 10:12 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting LoVeMyLiLjBuG:

Quoting steelcrazy:

i used to have my son do his homework as soon as he came home from school but he was so exhausted from school all day and then wouldnt want anything to with it so i started having him do it later on..

How is it working with him doing it later?  Sometimes you may have to offer an incentive, like no electronics until homework is done.  This is a great motivator, even when they do homework later.  When he gets home he gets a snack and some unstructured play time before homework, but no electronics until after homework is done.

LoVeMyLiLjBuG
by Member on Jan. 26, 2014 at 10:12 PM

Quoting frndlyfn:

What kinds of homework does he have?   We usually have dd do hers as soon as she comes home so that we can do fun things afterwards.  There have been a few times where we took the homework to library and used one of their study rooms for less distractions.

he has cutting, gluing, and writing hes okay with the cutting and gluing but writing is not one of his favorites..

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Jan. 26, 2014 at 10:14 PM

Quoting LoVeMyLiLjBuG:

Quoting frndlyfn:

he has cutting, gluing, and writing hes okay with the cutting and gluing but writing is not one of his favorites..

How would he feel about practicing whatever he has to write using "spare"sugar or sand to write in before he writes on flat paper?  He may find it fun to drag a pencil or his finger through the sand/sugar.

My dd hated writing as well but hers was due to no muscle tone in wrist so it was hard for her to hold on to the pencil.  She is in 2nd grade now and is doing much better at school and at home.   We try to do the writing part first and get it out of the way.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)