Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

I dont get it and neither does my daughters teacher.

Posted by on Jan. 28, 2014 at 11:12 AM
  • 25 Replies

My daughter is in 3rd grade. She has always struggled with math. Basic adding, subtracting and story problems confuse the hell out of her. Takes/took her 2 hours to do 2 pages of math homework. Her class is now into multiplication and division. She has no problem with this stuff, its like she's done it for years. Last night she got all her multiplication and division homework done in 45mins. And there was a lot ( like 4 pages). I thinks its great that this stuff is sticking and she's understanding it so fast and so well. Her teacher and I just don't get how  she doesn't get the basic  56+34  but if you turned that into 56x34 she gets the answer in less then a couple mins.

by on Jan. 28, 2014 at 11:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mjande4
by Platinum Member on Jan. 28, 2014 at 11:16 AM
4 moms liked this

Take whatever method that she is using for multiplication and have her apply it for addition.  Does she know her "fact families"?  There is no way that she could be as adept at multiplication if she didn't understand addition.  It may just be the method that she is using.

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Jan. 28, 2014 at 11:17 AM

Hmm no clue.  I bet she is happy that she is understanding the material.

aurorabear
by Member on Jan. 28, 2014 at 11:19 AM

Agree with PP. There is something in the way its being taught she doesn't get. Take a different appraoch. The teacher can not get my little one to learn math. She brings it home and it takes me showing her twice. I teach her differently. 

LovingLife88
by on Jan. 28, 2014 at 11:23 AM
1 mom liked this
I was like that. I still am like that. Lol I know it's crazy I just didn't have much fun doing basic math but multiplication and division were fun. She will be very smart!
Raeann11
by Bronze Member on Jan. 28, 2014 at 11:37 AM

My oldest is like that. The basic is not so easy for her but the harder stuff is. I'm like that too. The basic can confuse me but the harder stuff comes easy.

emarin77
by Bronze Member on Jan. 28, 2014 at 12:27 PM

Does she have difficulties processing what she reads in reading books?  If she does, that might be an Auditory Processing Disorder.  Only a specialized audiologist can diagnose.

meam4444
by on Jan. 28, 2014 at 5:21 PM

It is funny how the mind works.  I remember in school, I just couldn't get certain math problems (elementary school and middle school), and I remember a teacher just explaining it a different way and it clicked.  I still remember one of the times where like a light bulb went off...I thought it was so easy then.

mommy053008
by Maria on Jan. 28, 2014 at 5:35 PM

Wow!!! That is so strange. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
MamiJaAyla
by Bronze Member on Jan. 28, 2014 at 5:38 PM
i was same. didnt like math till algebra
Bieg9093
by Bronze Member on Jan. 28, 2014 at 9:20 PM

That's extremely interesting.  Why do you think this might be?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN