Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Extra days of school?

Posted by on Jan. 28, 2014 at 8:55 PM
  • 72 Replies
Will your child's school be adding more days to the school year to make up the snow days?
by on Jan. 28, 2014 at 8:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommaFruFru
by Gold Member on Jan. 28, 2014 at 8:57 PM
No. We have a week of make up days built into spring break. And 3 more days that can be added.

Right now our spring break is 1 week and a Monday. Then school resumes that Tuesday
GwenMB
by Gwen on Jan. 28, 2014 at 8:58 PM

Yep. We've had 3 snow days, at least 2 of them need to be made up. We don't know about the third yet since the governor cancelled school for the state and that wasn't a local decision.

squeekers
by on Jan. 28, 2014 at 8:59 PM

we don't have snow days here, we have brushfire days. we haven't had any rain/precipitation in over 38 days and the Forest Service says we're in for a doozy of fire season.

Miller0305
by Member on Jan. 28, 2014 at 9:00 PM
Yes, the first 2 were free but these last 2 have to be made up. Maybe shorten spring break but we already booked a vacation so my kids will be gone. We don't get out until June 14 so adding days then would suck b
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jan. 28, 2014 at 9:06 PM

No not yet, tomorrow will only be the fourth day that they've missed thus far and we have 8 "make up" days on our calendar.  They made up the first day on MLK day, the second will be made up on President's day.  I'm not sure about when today and tomorrow will be made up, but it will most likely be over Easter break.

mckinneymom918
by Bronze Member on Jan. 28, 2014 at 9:08 PM
This was day 6 of 5 allowed. However, ohio and our district approved "blizzard bags" that have been sent home to be worked on during the day off. These are good for an additional 3 days. So today was a work at home day for my kids.
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jan. 28, 2014 at 9:12 PM

I've never heard of snow days being free before, do you alreay have more days in the school calendar than the state requires or what?

Quoting Miller0305: Yes, the first 2 were free but these last 2 have to be made up. Maybe shorten spring break but we already booked a vacation so my kids will be gone. We don't get out until June 14 so adding days then would suck b

my4littlegirls
by and 1 boy on Jan. 28, 2014 at 9:12 PM

Yes we will have 3 to make up so far.

Miller0305
by Member on Jan. 28, 2014 at 9:13 PM
I'm in WI. Our school builds in a couple days because we usually need them.

Quoting steelcrazy:

I've never heard of snow days being free before, do you alreay have more days in the school calendar than the state requires or what?

Quoting Miller0305: Yes, the first 2 were free but these last 2 have to be made up. Maybe shorten spring break but we already booked a vacation so my kids will be gone. We don't get out until June 14 so adding days then would suck b

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jan. 28, 2014 at 9:15 PM

So your calendar at the beginning of the year has more days of school that the state requires. 

Here in PA we get a ton of snow, but we have days that they are scheduled off of school unless we have a snow day and then they "make up" the snow day on that day.  Hence the term "make up" day.

Quoting Miller0305: I'm in WI. Our school builds in a couple days because we usually need them.

Quoting steelcrazy:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN