Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

what to do about chores..

Posted by on Jan. 29, 2014 at 2:35 PM
  • 9 Replies

Hey everyone!  I'm not sure if this topic was covered recently or not, but I could use some advice.. or at least see what works for you guys. 

Here's the scoop.  My kids, DD-9 and DS-8, are usually pretty good about chores.  Well okay, DS is better than DD.. she can be pretty lazy at times.  Anyway, I have always had some sort of system, chart, whatever set up for them ever since they were little.  I've tried all sorts of things.  The latest was from a website called GoalForIt.com... where I'd set up a chore chart for them and print it off.  They leave it in their rooms and check off the chores as they do them (most are daily, a couple are weekly or 2x week).  I then take their hopefully filled out charts and plug it into the website.  Each chore is worth a certain number of cents.  The computer then calculates how much they've made that week.  I take that amount and deposit it into their savings accounts.. which they see the statements each month, and and hopefully watch their money grow!  Well it worked great for a while, like most things with kids.  But the excitement is gone.  Neither of them have a goal in mind as to what they want to save their money up for.  I think that'd help, if they had something to look forward to.  DD is pretty lazy these days, and will do half the chores during the week BUT.. she'll check them off anyway (as if I didn't know).  DS is pretty good about his chores, and usually gets them done, BUT.. he forgets to check them off.  If bedtime comes and they've forgotten to check off their chores for that day, they don't earn anything for them. Both kids have not made much money at all in the past I don't know how many weeks/months.  My hubby said he's going to create a website just for the kids to keep track of their chores.  They either go on there and check off what they've done or they dont.. once the day has gone, they can't go back.  This will definitely keep them honest about it, where the check list-type paper I gave them did not.  BUT.. he has yet to creat this website, and honestly I have no clue when/if he will.  I can't sit around and wait.  I could keep going with what I have been doing, but it's pointless.  The kids know what their chores are, even without a checklist.  But with one, they can see how much they're making each day/week. 

I think I need a new plan of action.  They're getting older and getting more and more responsibilities.  I need a good way for us all to keep track of them, and make sure the kids are being honest and doing their chores as expected.

Any ideas, thoughts, suggestions, or experiences would be very helpful!  Thanks

by on Jan. 29, 2014 at 2:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Jan. 29, 2014 at 2:41 PM
Most kids, especially youngs ones, as yours are do better with immediate gratification. Not a number on a sheet of paper. I would change this to either fake money they they can put in a jar qnd then "deposit" themselves when you take real $ to the bqnk, or marbles woth 25c each. Eqch chore earns a marble and you pay them cash when the jar is full. They can keep $2 to spend and deposit the rest.

Also, have them choose a goal to earn. What does each child like? Having a goaL will encourage them.
mom22tumblebugs
by Gold Member on Jan. 29, 2014 at 2:47 PM

I'd give them money that they can save in their own bank and can use to spend on whatever they want, whenever they want. Sometimes when they hear I am going to walmart, they run upstairs fill their wallet with some money, and want to come with. They want to shop too. How many times do we go to the grocery store and put something in our cart on impulse? Sometimes kids want that experience too, they see it, they want it, they buy it. Looking at a balance grow on a piece of paper isn't the same as holding and counting dollar bills and coins. If you are going to do it on the computer, then let them input it. It will give them some experience to being a pencil pushing accountant one day, where money is nothing but numbers on a computer screen (something I can say b/c I was an accountant. And I can say from experience.. BORING!)

mommy053008
by Maria on Jan. 29, 2014 at 3:36 PM
Oh yeah I totally agree with the above posters you need to let then put money in a bank where they can save for what they want.
CaptNumo9
by on Jan. 29, 2014 at 5:53 PM

I think the other posters are correct. 8 & 9 year olds need to have more hands on rewards. Here is a great article that might be of interest http://bit.ly/1fcYG2q. Another one that gives ideas about money http://bit.ly/LpRDLd. Keep up the great work!

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jan. 29, 2014 at 6:05 PM

Yes, they need to see the payoff for their hard work.  Whether you use real money, fake money, or marbles, they need to physically get something in return for their work.  That bank statement doesn't represent anything to them really because it is too abstract and not immediate.

soymujer
by Mikki on Jan. 29, 2014 at 9:02 PM

Dave Ramsey will say to give each child 5 chores to do during the week.  At the end of the week, give a dollar for every chore done.  If they don't do it, they don't get paid for that chore.

family in the van   Mom of four

MamiJaAyla
by Bronze Member on Jan. 29, 2014 at 9:28 PM

Okay they've got money in the bank... but that's just there WHAT DO THEY SPEND IT ON? 

Think about it... what/where do you take them to spend it? And also think... do you buy EVERYTHING for them esp. in terms of fun???  If so STOP... if they want a song, a game, a cool shirt, to go to the movies, to get a skateboard etc.etc.etc.  

THEY GOTTA PAY FOR IT THEMSELF.  

A ride to a friends out.  

Make a menu for items that can be bought IN HOUSE... extra electronic time, a night off from a chore etc.etc.

If the money is just sitting there in "space" it truly means nothing... kids don't see money as that important ... actually none of us do, till we get old enough to actually need something and can't get it.  

momtoo4boyz
by Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 2:41 AM
Chores are tied to allowances in our home. About every two months we let the boys spend there money at Toys R Us, Walmart, or Target. They have the option to save their money for a big ticket item. ODS is saving for a "Go Pro Camera".
k1ara
by Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 4:13 PM

Thanks for all the tips and ideas!  And you all had some very good points! 

Chores around here are tied to allowances (DD has 6 chores, ODS has 5).  This morning I had put together a plan of action with the kids.  Told DH about it around lunchtime.. and apparently it wasn't good enough.  DH and I sat down with the kids this morning and had a big discussion on chores.  We got down to the bottom of what was going on with chores.  Now a new plan of action is in place.. my original ideas were more or less tossed out. Anyway, DH came up with this:  Kids have to completely do their chores.  When approved by mom or dad, they get to put a coin in their jars (however much that chore is worth).  If, by the end of the day, chores are forgotten or not completely done they earn anything for those chores not completed and lose 1 item that is special to them (DD-stuffed animal, ODS-video game).  If, by the end of the day, chores are competely done they earn however much the chores are worth and either don't lose their special item or earn 1 lost item back.  They'll be able to take whatever they've earned and either spend it (whenever they're able to go with me when I go shopping) or save it.

Hopefully this makes some sense.  I'm not sure if it'll work or not, but the kids like the idea of putting coins in their jars. All chores got done quickly today... I just this works!

The idea behind the savings account was for them to watch what they've earned grow, so that they could buy something "big" and expensive.  I would give them a certain amount of earned money to spend, and the rest would be put into savings.  But as weeks went on, and chores were not done or forgotten to be marked off, they earned less and less.. not even enough to spend or deposit.  Obviously this idea backfired.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)