Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

School Bus questions

Posted by on Jan. 29, 2014 at 2:46 PM
  • 22 Replies

My boys are riding the bus to school for the first time tomorrow morning.  Any advice?  I have some questions too.  Are the seats assigned?  Are their bus monitors?  Just nervous!

by on Jan. 29, 2014 at 2:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mom22tumblebugs
by Gold Member on Jan. 29, 2014 at 2:51 PM

When my kids took the bus, they just got on, sat down, and bus drove off. Easy Peasy. Only the "short buses" used for the ECE (early childhood/preschool) kids had seat belts.

MeAndTommyLee
by Member on Jan. 29, 2014 at 2:54 PM

Thanks.  Just new to this.  We lived in Chicago for many years and we moved 90 minutes away to a small town. 

Quoting mom22tumblebugs:

When my kids took the bus, they just got on, sat down, and bus drove off. Easy Peasy. Only the "short buses" used for the ECE (early childhood/preschool) kids had seat belts.

bc19
by Member on Jan. 29, 2014 at 3:10 PM
1 mom liked this

Depends on the driver as to whether seats are assigned or not. I had one who did and one who didn't when I had to ride the bus. It is pretty simple though, you follow the rules sit where you need to and then go to school. Some let the bus get loud, some don't. 

mommy053008
by Maria on Jan. 29, 2014 at 3:32 PM
No idea my kid doesn't ride the bus.
mommaFruFru
by Gold Member on Jan. 29, 2014 at 3:36 PM
Call the bus driver :)

Tuesday was our first day on the bus. I called the school Monday ( wanted to do it sooner but we were out of school for a week)
They gave me the bus drive ra number and I called. Easy peasy

Our bus does not have assigned seats. Though I told her my kindergartener gets anxious and nervous and she said she would keep the front seat open for my boys until they were comfortable riding.
pcsainco
by Member on Jan. 29, 2014 at 4:01 PM

I'm sure it will be fine, but stay tuned in to what you're kids say about their rides.  I have a 2nd & 4th grader (girls) who rode the bus up until Winter Break. They were so excited to ride the bus at the beginning of the year and I didn't really expect any problems because they pretty much knew all of the 20 or so kids on the bus because this bus just serves their charter school.  

I drive them to and from school now because the bus ride devolved into a massively unpleasant experience. Name calling, raugchy songs, intimidation, horsing around, etc...one kid actually got punched.  The bus driver is nice enough but cannot control uncontrollable kids and drive too!  The boys and girls were seperated for about two months and a monitor rode along for about a week.  I don't know what it is about riding the bus, but I've actually described it as the elementary version of the hunger games!  The school says it does not have any authority over the bussing (contrated out), so I've just given up and drive them now.  

I have a sneeking suspicion that this might be a case of overly-monitored kids getting a little freedom and not knowing how to act like a decent human being.  In any case, I hope your kids have a better experience than my girls did!

SahmTam
by Tammy on Jan. 29, 2014 at 4:42 PM

Seats are not assigned on our buses, but some places may do that. We also don't have bus monitors, but again- that could be different in different areas, too. Hmm- that was not a very helpful answer! lol Hope your boys have a great experience! We've never had any problems.

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Jan. 29, 2014 at 7:02 PM

No clue since I do not live in your area.  Talk to the driver for a few moments when you put them on the bus.

Barabell
by Barbara on Jan. 29, 2014 at 7:10 PM

The driver will tell you if the seats are assigned as they get on the bus. 

My son's school district gave us some bus safety information that I went over with my son before he rode the bus for the first time.

I did find this website with some great safety tips you might want to go over:

http://www.aboutschool.com/busstop.htm 

bizkit_fanky
by Silver Member on Jan. 29, 2014 at 7:41 PM

Dd rides it every evening...She has an assigned seat with m sister....They also have a bus monitor

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN