Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

UTI go away

Posted by on Jan. 30, 2014 at 1:37 AM
  • 18 Replies
My 6 year old dd had a urinary trac infection last week and she got it again yesterday again. How painful are they because she keeps crying about her stomach pain? I never went through this but I feel sad to see her with a fever, abdominal pain, and she will not eat but only drinks. She lost ten pounds and has a hard time sleeping because of the pain or because she needs to urinate.
by on Jan. 30, 2014 at 1:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
friendlymom5
by Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 4:44 AM
Very painful. Get her drinking some cranberry juice. It helps.

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 8:27 AM
2 moms liked this

Did her dr put her on antibiotics? I wouldn't think a UTI would come back that fast if she took all the medication as directed.

Cranberry juice can help until you get her back to the dr.

Mashnut3161
by on Jan. 30, 2014 at 8:29 AM

AZO will help. Just give her one. Cranberry Juice and maybe some warm tea.  It helps my daughter when she gets them.

mommy053008
by Maria on Jan. 30, 2014 at 8:51 AM
I've never had one but I heard they can be painful
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 9:25 AM
1 mom liked this

She needs to go to the doctor to get medicine to make the UTI go away.  Otherwise it will keep coming back over and over again.  FYI - a UTI is very VERY  painful and I have a very high pain tolerance.

Barabell
by Barbara on Jan. 30, 2014 at 9:33 AM

I've heard it's extremely painful and often causes sudden changes in behavior, like dementia.

EDIT - I haven't had one, but I know people that have had loved ones with UTIs.

Andrewsmom70
by Gold Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 10:38 AM

They are awful! There's pressure that you have to go pee really bad but then you go potty and only little bits come out. And it happens over and over and over. It can also sting when you pee. 

I take Azo cranberry pills every single day to try to keep them away.

If you have her drink cranberry juice, get the 100% juice, not the juice cocktail.

But I agree, get her to the dr for antibiotics to clear it up ASAP. Typically the meds will turn her pee a different color but that's normal.

Maryloe
by Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 11:33 AM
Yes she has antibiotics and I don't see any changes, except that she has no more fever. She complaints about her stomach pain and her urine is still cloudy. She finished her first antibiotics on Saturday and got a different antibiotics yesterday to continue for ten days.

Quoting wakymom:

Did her dr put her on antibiotics? I wouldn't think a UTI would come back that fast if she took all the medication as directed.

Cranberry juice can help until you get her back to the dr.

aj23
by Bronze Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 11:51 AM
They are painful. My son has gotten 2 and he cries for the longest time after going to the bathroom when he has one.
His has always felt better after the first dose or two of meds. If hers didn't go away after a week of meds then most likely there is something else. She could have a bladder infection which would explain th the stomach pain and is basically a uti that is so severe its reached the bladder.

My son hates cranberry juice but blueberry juice provides similar benefits and he will gladly drink it.
Maryloe
by Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 11:51 AM
I will try getting 100% cranberry juice.

Quoting Andrewsmom70:

They are awful! There's pressure that you have to go pee really bad but then you go potty and only little bits come out. And it happens over and over and over. It can also sting when you pee. 

I take Azo cranberry pills every single day to try to keep them away.

If you have her drink cranberry juice, get the 100% juice, not the juice cocktail.

But I agree, get her to the dr for antibiotics to clear it up ASAP. Typically the meds will turn her pee a different color but that's normal.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)