Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

District nurse requesting a urine sample *Update two*

Posted by on Jan. 30, 2014 at 10:22 AM
  • 66 Replies
1 mom liked this

Our school district has a health nurse who travels between all the schools in the district. Tomorrow is our kids school. I got a phone call this morning from their usual school nurse saying that the district nurse has requested that DS2(8) supply her with a urine sample when she visits tomorrow and to ask if I would be willing to sign a form giving her permission. The thing is, she couldn't tell me why the nurse has specifically asked DS2 to supply one. DS is a twin and they haven't asked DS1 for one, so I know it's not a whole grade sort of thing.

What reasons would a school district nurse have for wanting one? Is it something I should be worried about?  I'm thinking I'll let him do it, because we've got nothing to hide and I assume she has her reasons for asking, I'm just confused about why she would want one. 

Update: So I got DS to give me a sample before bed so DH, who is a doctor, could test it when he got home from work with one of those dipstick tests that test for multiple things. Negitive for everything. Even he couldn't think of a reason why she would want one. The school district is big on Juvinal diabetes screenings and makes all the kids get tested at the start of the school year (by their pediatrician,but allowing the school district to access the results). But that was back in September, surely if they had an issue they would have contacted me along time before now? Besides, glucose was one of the things DH tested and there was no trace of it in his urine.

So yes, I'm going to go visit the nurse when I drop the kids off in the morning. I would at least like to know what the problem is so that we can investigate it futher if need be. Outside of school.

Thank you all for your advice.

Update two: So I went and spoke to the nurse yesterday morning, and apparently their was something wrong DS urine sample at the start of the year (All the kids have to get one done before they start school every year through elementry school) and that she was just going to get a new one to retest. I told her not to worry about it, that I would take him to our doctor to get one done and get him to fill out the form for the school. So that's a relief. At least I can rest assured they aren't drug testing 8 year olds. Yet.

by on Jan. 30, 2014 at 10:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 10:24 AM
13 moms liked this

I honestly wouldn't provide a sample or sign anything until I knew what the sample was for and what sort of release I'm signing.

Hannahluvsdogs
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 10:26 AM

I agree.

Quoting steelcrazy:

I honestly wouldn't provide a sample or sign anything until I knew what the sample was for and what sort of release I'm signing.

awesomemommy2
by on Jan. 30, 2014 at 10:28 AM
Drug testing 8 year olds?

I don't get it. Nor would allow it.
Andrewsmom70
by Gold Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 10:29 AM

If they can't provide a really good reason I wouldn't agree.

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 10:31 AM

I would want to know why she wanted it before allowing it.

sheramom4
by Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 10:31 AM

Not something I would allow, but I tend to skip most if not all health screenings done through the school.

And can't come up with one valid reason they would want a urine sample from an eight year old.

purplmama
by on Jan. 30, 2014 at 10:32 AM
2 moms liked this

I wouldn't allow it. You and your family have rights and I think it's pretty assumptive on the district nurse's part to expect you to allow it without an explanation. Just because you have nothing to hide doesn't mean that you should just give in on this.

corib4687
by New Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 10:33 AM
1 mom liked this
I wouldn't sign it until I knew what she needed to test it for...

Then I probably still wouldn't sign it...I'm a big stickler for health care and school issues being separate.
charleyangel317
by on Jan. 30, 2014 at 10:38 AM
2 moms liked this

I would not let him until they can tell you why they want it. I have never heard of a school nurse (or district) ever asking for a urine sample.

cjsmom1
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 10:41 AM

As the others have said I wouldn't do it until they told me why

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN