Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you check ur child's cell phone to see what they are up to??

Posted by on Jan. 30, 2014 at 4:53 PM
  • 33 Replies

Yesterday, at dinner my daughter asked me to reply to a social media website called Kik.  She said they were being mean to her. I wrote something positive and then the kids starting going at it.  I got tired of the noise the phone keep making and I turned it off.  We went home and then when my daughter did homework I took to phone to read what they had said.  Now these are 5th grades, ages 10-12.  I was surprised of the texting that she received.  Then one boy sent a video saying that she should come over and go between his legs and she knows what to do.  I was so upset I deleted the video and uninstalled Kik from her phone.  I called the school and spoke to the principal and said that my daughter didn't hear or read the text that was received. I have the phone now.  I told the principal that I ask that the father speak to his son and remind him this behavior is unexceptable.  I ask that she speak to him and suggest that he check his son's phone. 

Have u ever encountered this or would u have done anything different than what I did?

no haters please!

by on Jan. 30, 2014 at 4:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 5:00 PM
2 moms liked this

My teenager doesn't have internet access on his phone and his texting is limited, so he doesn't do it much.  My 10 year old can only make/receive calls from his cellphon.

IMO, if it didn't happen at school, then you shouldn't expect the principal to handle it.  Also, you can not expect the principal to tell another parent how to parent their child. 

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 5:31 PM
1 mom liked this

She will not be having a cellphone for a long time.   Our cell phone does not even have internet access or texting capabilities.   This UNACCEPTABLE behavior is more and more common for this age.  It is up to us to teach our children how to handle it appropriately to keep out of trouble.  

I agree with Steel that the principal really does not have a part in this unless it happened during school time.  The most they could do is have an assembly for this age group about what not to do with their cell phones.

If my dd had a cell phone, i would disable all internet accessability or install blocks.

Rocks2bAMom2
by Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 5:33 PM

Yes. I check my 12 yrs old phone constantly! He's not allowed to social network, yet. But, I do allow him to go on youtube and look up appropriate videos. He looks up sports vids and watch certain comic cartoons or skits. One time, I cauhght him looking up content regarding sex on youtube! That is when I had "the talk" with him and learned to put parental controls on his viewing. He is limited now to only watch certain videos on youtube. Kids will run into some trouble with these cell phone if we don't nip in the bud as parents, or place some boundaries on their phone usage.  Great job mom for protecting your daughter against potential cyber bullying.

mommy053008
by Maria on Jan. 30, 2014 at 5:40 PM
My kids aren't old enough for phones yet but when they are they won't be allowed internet on their phone.
happynewyorker
by Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 8:17 PM

Ur all correct about contacting the school principal. I did inform the principal and said it didn't happen on school property, but they involved students at the school.  She knows the father of the child, since his wife use to be the PTA president, but she recently died of stage 4 cancer.  The boys father is such a nice guy raising 4 chidren, I hope he does right by his son.

LeilaBeansMom
by Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 8:24 PM
This.

Quoting mommy053008: My kids aren't old enough for phones yet but when they are they won't be allowed internet on their phone.
JasonsMom2007
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 8:27 PM

Mine won't be getting cell phones in elementary school.

soccerwife14
by New Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 9:06 PM
Only my oldest has a cell & she has No internet. Yes I check her text messages daily. The others are way too young in my opinion.
soymujer
by Mikki on Jan. 30, 2014 at 9:20 PM

First, my elementary child doesn't have a cell phone.  Second, when they do get a cell phone at the age of 13, they just get a phone that's good for calling and texting.  They can get a smart phone when they can buy it themselves and help pay for the data. 

Now, I do have passwords to their social medias and check their phones even at their age.

family in the van   Mom of four

Andrewsmom70
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 10:58 PM

My son is 8 and doesn't have a phone yet. When he does, it will be calls and texts only for a long time. Children that age do not need anything more. When he does get a phone, I will check it regularly.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)