Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

lunches thrown away

Posted by on Jan. 30, 2014 at 5:45 PM
  • 41 Replies

Up to 40 kids at Uintah Elementary in Salt Lake City picked up their lunches Tuesday, then watched as the meals were taken and thrown away because of outstanding balances on their accounts - a move that shocked and angered parents.

"It was pretty traumatic and humiliating," said Erica Lukes, whose 11-year-old daughter had her cafeteria lunch taken from her as she stood in line Tuesday at Uintah Elementary School, 1571 E. 1300 South.

Lukes said as far as she knew, she was all paid up. "I think it's despicable," she said. "These are young children that shouldn't be punished or humiliated for something the parents obviously need to clear up."

Jason Olsen, a Salt Lake City District spokesman, said the district's child-nutrition department became aware that Uintah had a large number of students who owed money for lunches.

As a result, the child-nutrition manager visited the school and decided to withhold lunches to deal with the issue, he said.

But cafeteria workers weren't able to see which children owed money until they had already received lunches, Olsen explained.

The workers then took those lunches from the students and threw them away, he said, because once food is served to one student it can't be served to another.

Children whose lunches were taken were given milk and fruit instead.

Olsen said school officials told the district that their staffers typically tell students about any balances as they go through the lunch line and send home notifications to parents each week.

The district attempted to contact parents with balances via phone Monday and Tuesday, Olsen said, but weren't able to reach them all before the child-nutrition manager decided to take away the students' lunches.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/57468293-78/lunches-olsen-students-district.html.csp 

What do you think about this?

by on Jan. 30, 2014 at 5:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 5:58 PM

I think it is cruel since the children have no control over the accounts typically and who knows if this was their one meal a day.

mommaFruFru
by Gold Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 6:23 PM
After being very involved in the 4 schools we have attended I just find this very hard to believe :/
Liz132
by Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 6:35 PM

Wasteful and cruel.

TheFairest
by Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 6:39 PM
What's the big deal, with an unpaid balance??
I pay my DS's balance at the end of the school yr. His school has never had a problem with that.
MrsSexyCurtains
by Bronze Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 6:46 PM
I can see where they're coming from but if the child already had the food then I think they should've just let them eat it and send a note home. It's also the parents responsibility to keep track of how much money is in their child's account. It's no different than balancing your bank account.
Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 6:46 PM
2 moms liked this
I see no problem with it. They got milk n fruit. They didnt starve. Maybe now people will pay attention!

Pay your dang bills.
Cherish77
by Bronze Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 6:52 PM

That is messed up, how embarrassingbfor those kids, they could have at least let the kids keep their lunch, so the food would not be wasted, and than sent a note home with those kids. Instead they wasted abouth a grand or more worth of food, how stupid.

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Jan. 30, 2014 at 7:01 PM
2 moms liked this

I agree that it's cruel and unfair to the child and I am glad my school doesn't do that. 

HOWEVER, the parents who don't bother to track school lunch accounts really need to bear this responsibility. Would you expect to go a restaurant and order food and not have any money to pay for it with no repercussion? It shouldn't be taken out on the child. But so many parents take advantage of the fact that most schools won't. 

The problem with sheltering children from the results of their parents' irresponsibility is that it ensures we have a whole new generation of irresponsible parents to look forward to. 

I don't know what the answer is and I don't agree with this. But something needs to be done. We've become a society of entitlement and it's only getting worse. 

momtoo4boyz
by Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 7:02 PM
School Officials are some of the worst people I've dealt with and to think there in charge of children's education.
maxswolfsuit
by Max on Jan. 30, 2014 at 7:02 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting TheFairest: What's the big deal, with an unpaid balance??
I pay my DS's balance at the end of the school yr. His school has never had a problem with that.

I don't know how your school runs the program that way. 

School lunch programs run on a tight budget. If people don't pay their bills they can't keep the program running.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)