Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

I just can't get him to care

Posted by on Jan. 30, 2014 at 7:29 PM
  • 19 Replies
My oldest is 7, in second grade, with a moderate/sever speech problem.
Which is now effecting his reading and spelling. And well just his whole school career.

He has been in.speech therapy now for 4 years. And he does not care. He does not care that he talks different, or that no one can understand him. That he can not read, well he can a little, or that I will make him repeat 2nd grade next year.
He goes to speech, reading group and spelling help daily at school.

We have tried countless website, apps and what not over the years. He treats them all as a game, he doesn't try he just guesses. I have read to him daily all his life. And had him start pointing out words and stuff since he was like 3. But it seems things are just going more and more downhill.

Now I can not even get him to sound out a word. He will literally sit there for hours refusing to sound out a single word.

So any help is welcome. Its to the point that I'm going to ask the pedi if we can have him tested for disabilities, outside of school
by on Jan. 30, 2014 at 7:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 8:07 PM
1 mom liked this

Maybe try getting dad involved a bit more.  If your SO shows an interest and lets him know that his speech, spelling, and reading are important, then you ds may begin to try again.  

I know that my boys get tired of listening to me harp on them about work, but when my husband is the one supervising, they don't give him any issues.  Shockingly, I'm the pushover in my house.  lol

Verrine
by Bronze Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 8:48 PM

(((Hugs))) 

I can feel your frustration. Unfortunately, you can't make him want anything. Spend some of that energy taking care of yourself.

toopicky429
by Bronze Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 8:52 PM
We started rewarding our son with money. He just wasn't trying to do better, and no matter what I tried to do to help him seemed to not work. So now both our kids get $5 a week for doing well on their tests at school. Money has been an amazing incentive for my son. My son is 6.
mommaFruFru
by Gold Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 8:56 PM
We tried money the last semester of 1st grade. Before things got this bad and ge was still making C grades in reading and spelling. Money has no motivation for him.
He didn't care if he got $1 a book and $5 for any grade over a B... just didn't care.

Quoting toopicky429: We started rewarding our son with money. He just wasn't trying to do better, and no matter what I tried to do to help him seemed to not work. So now both our kids get $5 a week for doing well on their tests at school. Money has been an amazing incentive for my son. My son is 6.
toopicky429
by Bronze Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 8:58 PM
Is there anything that does motivate him? My son went from knowing nothing to not missing any of his spelling and sight words. Does he have a tutor at school that can give you pointers?

Quoting mommaFruFru: We tried money the last semester of 1st grade. Before things got this bad and ge was still making C grades in reading and spelling. Money has no motivation for him.

He didn't care if he got $1 a book and $5 for any grade over a B... just didn't care.

Quoting toopicky429: We started rewarding our son with money. He just wasn't trying to do better, and no matter what I tried to do to help him seemed to not work. So now both our kids get $5 a week for doing well on their tests at school. Money has been an amazing incentive for my son. My son is 6.
mommaFruFru
by Gold Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 9:20 PM
Not really. He likes the wii, art, and dinosaurs..

I've talked to his speech therapist and teacher. They both say I can't make him care. And to just keep trying. Once he wants to know these things he will :/

Quoting toopicky429: Is there anything that does motivate him? My son went from knowing nothing to not missing any of his spelling and sight words. Does he have a tutor at school that can give you pointers?

Quoting mommaFruFru: We tried money the last semester of 1st grade. Before things got this bad and ge was still making C grades in reading and spelling. Money has no motivation for him.

soymujer
by Mikki on Jan. 30, 2014 at 9:21 PM

Quoting Verrine:

(((Hugs))) 

I can feel your frustration. Unfortunately, you can't make him want anything. Spend some of that energy taking care of yourself.

family in the van   Mom of four

mommaFruFru
by Gold Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 9:22 PM
I can't just give up on him. Really!

Quoting soymujer:

Quoting Verrine:

(((Hugs))) 

GwenMB
by Gwen on Jan. 30, 2014 at 11:15 PM

Maybe it would be good to back off & just let things go for a while. Since he's already repeating 2nd grade anyway.  Maybe it's all just too much pressure right now & if he didn't feel you trying to push him for a while, he'll get interested again.

It might not hurt to talk to the pedi, though.  Or find a developmental pedi if you can.

jackiewal10
by Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 11:20 PM

Does he understand?  And I am not meaning that in a rude way.  It's an honest question.  Does he truly understand what is being asked of him?  That he should be striving toward these things? Does he know what it means when someone is asking him to perform certain tasks and HOW to accomplish those tasks?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN