Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

So frustrated with school bureaucracy on dyslexia!

Posted by on Jan. 30, 2014 at 11:29 PM
  • 27 Replies
My son is already diagnosed ADHD. Recently he was tested by his school for his 504 plan. This testing showed him to be above averaged in every category except those relating to hand writing. There he scored as a pre k lvl when he is in the 4th grade. School district says they won't test and only place I can find is 1500$
by on Jan. 30, 2014 at 11:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mjande4
by Platinum Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 11:44 PM

I'm confused. Why do you want him tested for dyslexia? Is he struggling with reading?

Ravenfax67
by on Jan. 31, 2014 at 12:09 AM
Some research has said that one can suffer from a form of dyslexia that effects writing. I am learning it is called dysgraphia
http://www.ncld.org/types-learning-disabilities/dysgraphia/what-is-dysgraphia
Andrewsmom70
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 6:53 AM

But why does he need to be tested again if he's already been tested by the school?

Quoting Ravenfax67: Some research has said that one can suffer from a form of dyslexia that effects writing. I am learning it is called dysgraphia

Cindy18
by Cruella on Jan. 31, 2014 at 7:06 AM
2 moms liked this

I'm confused too. 

My son is dyslexic. Here is what I have learned...... 

The school system doesn't recognize dyslexia, specifically. They classify it as a Learning Disability in Reading and Writing. So getting someone to say he has dysgraphia won't do any good really. 

Is he going to have a 504 plan? If he is then if there are accommodations for the writing issue put it in there. If he is not, talk to your doctor about OT to help with his writing.

Quoting Andrewsmom70:

But why does he need to be tested again if he's already been tested by the school?

Quoting Ravenfax67: Some research has said that one can suffer from a form of dyslexia that effects writing. I am learning it is called dysgraphia

Cindy

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 7:17 AM

It sounds to me like he was not tested specifically for Dyslexia, but he was found to be behind in handwriting skills in the process of other testing.

Quoting Andrewsmom70:

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 7:23 AM

From what I've heard, a lot of school systems do not recognize dyslexia as a disability- which makes absolutely no sense to me. You could try to fight the school on it, but your best bet is most likely going to be outside testing and help.

Our area has a school that specializes in teaching kids w/ dyslexia. If/when you get your son diagnosed, you could see if there is something like that for him near you.

coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 7:24 AM
Being behind in handwriting doesn't necessarily mean dyslexia. DS has awful writing and sadly doesn't care. I can't change that. Talk to his pedi and see if he could use OT.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommy053008
by Maria on Jan. 31, 2014 at 8:14 AM

Doesnt' sound dyselxic to me. My brother is dyslexic they caught it very early on. They knew because he couldn't recognize letters.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
aetrom
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 12:59 PM
1 mom liked this
Dysgraphia is what you are wanting not dyslexia. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
balagan_imma
by Silver Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 1:02 PM

He could also have a motor planning problem. My youngest has it and is just being tested now. He is in private school, which did an initial screening. But because the school is private we have to go to an educational psychologist for further testing even though it was confirmed by his neurologist.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN