Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

I have a 7 year old that still wets the bed, please help!!

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2014 at 3:11 AM
  • 23 Replies
I'm a single Mom with a 7 year old girl that continues to wet the bed. Please help, any advice that has worked please share! :-)

She doesn't wet the bed every night but does it about every 2 to 3 months. .And when she does wet the bed again, it'll likely happen again the same week. She is a happy and smart kid and this just has us both frustrated. She doesn't have drinks close to bedtime and goes to pee before bed. Because of a limited budget we share a bed, so I sometimes can tell when she needs to go to the restroom. And for a while I set an alarm and would wake up and wake her up to go to the
by on Jan. 31, 2014 at 3:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommy2twoboyz
by Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 3:17 AM
I used the wet stop alarm with my son. I tried a lot of things but that's what actually worked. It has a sensor that clips onto their undergarments and an alarm that clips to pjs. It lights up, rings and vibrates with the first sign of wetness which alerts them to go to the bathroom.
BlueKWoz
by on Jan. 31, 2014 at 7:37 AM
1 mom liked this

This may not help, but its developmentally normal for her to still wet the bed.  Kids can learn to stop wetting as young as 1 and as old as 12 or so.  There is no way to "teach" them to not do it, it's a connection between the brain and their body that develops differently in each child.

I would pay attention to diet, stress, those sort of factors and see if there's a pattern.  I know that if I let me kids drink milk right before bed, they would pee, once I stopped doing that they were all dry.  Good Luck!

mommy053008
by Maria on Jan. 31, 2014 at 8:12 AM

My kids very rarely wet the bed so I don't have much advice. Sending good vibes your way!

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
MommyO2-6631
by Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 8:18 AM
My son started wetting the bed every night at seven. It was sudden so we spoke to his doctor who referred us to a therapist for some emotional and behavior problems. I also started waking him up twice a night and forcing him to go pee. It pretty much took me dragging him to the bathroom to get him up. He hated me forcing him to get up so eventually he started going when he needed to. His wasn't normal bed wetting though. He woke up and knew he had to go but chose not to get up and go to the bathroom.
Maggie228
by Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 9:08 AM

We have similar issue Dr suggested the bed wetting alarm. We just got it and are going to try it

suetoo
by Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 9:30 AM

First, deep breathe. She won't go to college wetting the bed. That said, I think it very important she has her own bed, even if its just a cot at the foot of yours. Try to budget to buy her a set of pretty sheets, her pick, with comforter and pillow. Make her a snug nest in a corner all her own. Get her a bedside table for her own stuff, even if its just a crate from the dollar store. Cheat sheet the bed using a large trash bag where her hips are on the cot, fold a twin sheet in half the long way, and cover the plastic with the sheet and tuck in securely. Let her know, that if she has an accident, she can just untuck the wet part, and sleep the rest of the night dry. No pressure! No punishment, be totally loving and respectfully reassuring that she'll grow out of it. This is perfectly age appropriate. 

Grannie2
by on Jan. 31, 2014 at 9:39 AM

Wetting the bed is more commen then you think hun. My Daughter did it til 10 and my brothers daughter til 14..so i totally understand..its alot to do with deep sleep..or sometimes laziness to get up..but either way..id ask a doctor to help..she may have a condition called over active blatter that can be treated with laser surgery..if the wetting is due to laziness..there is a few tips..first..make her understand your not mad at her..kids feel embarrassed..let her know u understand and will help her..yes an alarm helps..but may be to late sometimes..just make her feel like shes not in trouble if she has an accident. Sometimes its due to stress too..yes..7 year olds stress too..lol..school..other kids..ect..try a low impack stress releaf before bed..like sit on floor with her..like yogo stuff..make her happy feel less stressed from her day..then of course..bathroom before bed..no drinking before bed..maybe few sips water...things will be ok!!! trust me..it will stop..

Chelsey191
by Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 10:06 AM
Don't pressure her too much. I peed the bed until I was 7. I was under so much pressure I dreamt I got up and went to the bathroom and was sitting on the toilet, I'd start to pee and then wake up mid flow because I was wetting the bed. I eventually grew out of it. My 9 yo nephew still pees the bed.
charleyangel317
by on Jan. 31, 2014 at 10:39 AM

Check with her dr. Mine told us that when mine did that that it was because her bladder was not as "mature" as it needed to be.

crysjuls
by Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 10:42 AM
My son used to do that at that age. I started making him go before bed and then I would wake him up at around 12-1am to go pee again.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)