Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

The Heavy

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2014 at 7:10 PM
  • 26 Replies
It's a book by a mother who put her obese 7-year-old daughter on a strict diet. Have you read it? Is your child overweight? My daughter is gaining weight rapidly this winter, and it concerns me.
by on Jan. 31, 2014 at 7:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 7:12 PM

Never read it or even heard of it.  I wouldn't be overly concerned about her gaining weight because she could be going through a growth spurt.  Both of my boys put on weight before shooting up.  So give it a few months before you get worried.  Also talk to her doctor before putting her on any type of diet.

Impressionists
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 7:16 PM
1 mom liked this
I agree with what you're saying, but we often eat junk around here. Cleaning up our acts, daughter included, is a good goal.

Quoting steelcrazy:

Never read it or even heard of it.  I wouldn't be overly concerned about her gaining weight because she could be going through a growth spurt.  Both of my boys put on weight before shooting up.  So give it a few months before you get worried.  Also talk to her doctor before putting her on any type of diet.

Impressionists
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 7:19 PM
One out of three kids in the US is overweight. I'm surprised we haven't had this discussion in here before. Or maybe we have. I don't always check in with CM.
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 7:36 PM
1 mom liked this

Junk is a rare thing around here.  I don't forbid any foods, but there are a lot of things that I don't regularly keep on hand either.

Quoting Impressionists: I agree with what you're saying, but we often eat junk around here. Cleaning up our acts, daughter included, is a good goal.

Quoting steelcrazy:

natural_s
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 7:38 PM

I never heard of the book. None of my five children are overweight. I agree with the other poster to talk to the doctor he/she may be able to give you some suggestions but removing junk food and replacing it with more healthier options like fresh fruit and yogurt is a great start.

If she is not active, maybe getting her involved into a sport or activity that will get her more active might help if it is truly a concern.

Good luck with everything.

lovemymini
by Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 7:39 PM
Nope never heard of it. DS isn't over weight.

At 7 though you can restrict her diet and increase her activity.

We don't have junk, candy, ice cream or soda in the house and everyone walks at night for an hour.
mommy053008
by Maria on Jan. 31, 2014 at 7:47 PM
Haven't heard of it
Impressionists
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 7:49 PM
My husband would throw a fit if I removed the junk. I like your attitude.

Quoting lovemymini: Nope never heard of it. DS isn't over weight.

At 7 though you can restrict her diet and increase her activity.

We don't have junk, candy, ice cream or soda in the house and everyone walks at night for an hour.
Impressionists
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 7:50 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes, we start swimming again tomorrow.

Quoting natural_s:

I never heard of the book. None of my five children are overweight. I agree with the other poster to talk to the doctor he/she may be able to give you some suggestions but removing junk food and replacing it with more healthier options like fresh fruit and yogurt is a great start.

If she is not active, maybe getting her involved into a sport or activity that will get her more active might help if it is truly a concern.

Good luck with everything.

Mishy2
by Michelle on Jan. 31, 2014 at 8:28 PM

I haven`t heard of this book before either.

**** Join us at ~*~ MOMMY CHATS ~*~ - a fun place for moms, moms to be, and TTC women to meet other moms, give advice, share stories, make new friends and just chat http://www.cafemom.com/group/119876

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN