Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Saturday-make-up day

Posted by on Feb. 1, 2014 at 7:22 AM
  • 50 Replies

My DS is in school (public)  today making up one of the two snow days they had this week. This doesn't happen very often but it seems strange  sending my son to school on a Saturday. Fortunately it is only a half day. Do any of your schools use Saturdays as make up days?

by on Feb. 1, 2014 at 7:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ljmom24
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2014 at 7:31 AM
1 mom liked this
We haven't had to but I know other area towns have.
cjsmom1
by Silver Member on Feb. 1, 2014 at 7:39 AM
1 mom liked this
I've never heard of a school doing this before
disneymom2two
by Silver Member on Feb. 1, 2014 at 7:40 AM
1 mom liked this

We would only do that if we were in danger of needing to make days up past June 30 since we aren't able to go into July due to contract and fiscal year.  If we'd had one more day last year, we would have had to go.

pochaccotx
by Member on Feb. 1, 2014 at 7:41 AM
1 mom liked this
Nope they will be making up on good Friday and memorial day
kt674
by Member on Feb. 1, 2014 at 7:47 AM

Honestly, I never have before until this year. My son is in second grade.

Quoting cjsmom1: I've never heard of a school doing this before

kt674
by Member on Feb. 1, 2014 at 7:50 AM

My guess is they don't want to cut into Spring break. They are using the 2 teachers workdays in Feb.and March for the other 2 days they missed.

Quoting disneymom2two:

We would only do that if we were in danger of needing to make days up past June 30 since we aren't able to go into July due to contract and fiscal year.  If we'd had one more day last year, we would have had to go.

disneymom2two
by Silver Member on Feb. 1, 2014 at 7:52 AM
3 moms liked this

I don't know what your teacher workdays are like but if they're anything like our inservice days (actually half days, we do one half day almost every month for professional development), I'd much rather be with my students than attending another workshop that is not in any way relevant to my job.  

Quoting kt674:

My guess is they don't want to cut into Spring break. They are using the 2 teachers workdays in Feb.and March for the other 2 days they missed.

Quoting disneymom2two:

mommy053008
by Maria on Feb. 1, 2014 at 8:26 AM

I havent heard our school doing that.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
mommaFruFru
by Gold Member on Feb. 1, 2014 at 8:30 AM
Our schools do not do that.

We have 8 built in snow days av year.

Mlk day, presidents day. One week of our 2 week spring break. And oaks day ( sorta like av regional holiday, the day before the Ky Derby)
Mazie0723
by Member on Feb. 1, 2014 at 8:33 AM
I wish they did it here. But they are just taking away one of their holiday days so far. But we've had 4 days off because of extreme cold so I'm sure it'll cut into their summer.lol
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)