Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

How diverse is your kids school

Posted by on Feb. 2, 2014 at 7:22 PM
  • 71 Replies
So annoyed I have certain friends that always comment when they see class photos from both kids (2 different schools) that my kids look like the token white kids. Now neither is far from the only white kid in school. Older sons school there is no majority it's about 30% white 30% Asian 30% African American and the rest a mixture. Other son there is a slight majority of white.

Now it doesn't bother us we live in a very diverse area. My work looks a lot like their school and dh too. It's what the real world is probably going to look but last night we were somewhere and someone made a comment that still has my blood boiling. Conversation got to illegals and an assumption was made that since my kids schools are 95% white they must be going to school with a bunch of illegals. As the daughter of an immigrant this just pissed me off but I couldn't say anything (family) I mean really this isn't 1965!! And this was coming from someone my age with school age kids which makes me wonder what you teach your kids about people of different skin color or ethnicity!!!
by on Feb. 2, 2014 at 7:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
almburr
by Member on Feb. 2, 2014 at 7:25 PM
Majority white, the rest Mexican.
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Feb. 2, 2014 at 7:29 PM
2 moms liked this

Ours is so so with diversity.  Each year it gets more diverse.  DD's class has a nice mix of different cultures.  We have enough spanish speakers that each event has interpreters for the parents.  Our area has alot of russian immigrants as well.

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Feb. 2, 2014 at 7:37 PM
1 mom liked this

Economic diversity is MUCH more important than ethnic diversity in a school. I don't want to live or have my kids attend a school where white is the minority no matter how bad that sounds. The ugly, non political correct truth, is that schools that have high percentages of minorities tend to be inner city and not as good from an education standpoint. I have taught at the same site for 20+ years. When I first started two decades ago, the majority of students came from middle class, college educated homes. As the neighborhood aged , there was massive "white flight". Within a one year time period, our main feeder junior high went from 45% Hispanic to 95%. It decimated the community and the schools. The majority were illegal, which brought an entire host of problems. The learning levels decreased substantially. Our school continues to struggle and even though the neighborhood has somewhat stabilized, the damage is irreversible.  We live in a neighboring town that has diversity, but EDUCATED diversity.

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Feb. 2, 2014 at 7:43 PM

Their school is mostly white, but there are other ethnic groups. Not so many African-Americans or Hispanics, but a lot of Asians and Indians, and maybe a few MIddle Eastern.

Barabell
by Barbara on Feb. 2, 2014 at 7:47 PM

We live in the inner city of a metropolitan, and we're a refugee city too. So there is quite a bit of diversity at my son's school. To be honest, I have no idea what the ratios are. It's probably representative of the population of our city.

Barabell
by Barbara on Feb. 2, 2014 at 7:54 PM

I have to agree with your comment. I'm working on changing districts this next school year to a school that matches the education diversity that you're talking about. They re-zoned the school we were planning on sending our kid to next year, and the amount of incidents have sky rocketed in the past year. He's tired of these distractions, and we're worried about how these incidents will impact his safety as he gets older. The new school we're enrolling him in has families that are blue collar workers to licensed professionals, and they have much smaller class sizes while still providing plenty of sports, clubs, and higher level classes.

Quoting mjande4:

Economic diversity is MUCH more important than ethnic diversity in a school. I don't want to live or have my kids attend a school where white is the minority no matter how bad that sounds. The ugly, non political correct truth, is that schools that have high percentages of minorities tend to be inner city and not as good from an education standpoint. I have taught at the same site for 20+ years. When I first started two decades ago, the majority of students came from middle class, college educated homes. As the neighborhood aged , there was massive "white flight". Within a one year time period, our main feeder junior high went from 45% Hispanic to 95%. It decimated the community and the schools. The majority were illegal, which brought an entire host of problems. The learning levels decreased substantially. Our school continues to struggle and even though the neighborhood has somewhat stabilized, the damage is irreversible.  We live in a neighboring town that has diversity, but EDUCATED diversity.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Feb. 2, 2014 at 8:01 PM
1 mom liked this

OP, I'm slightly confused about something you said - Conversation got to illegals and an assumption was made that since my kids schools are 95% white they must be going to school with a bunch of illegals.

I didn't realize that most illegals were white?  Around here, most illegals are hispanic.

Our school is 98% white, about 1.5% afterican american, and 0.5% hispanic.  We live in a rural, farm area so it isn't shocking that our area is mainly white.  The hispanics have moved in within the past 5 years due to natural gas drilling.  The drilling companies relocate them here from Texas.

ljmom24
by Silver Member on Feb. 2, 2014 at 8:14 PM
Nope my bad typing and watching football the comment was something about our town being 90% Asian.

Quoting steelcrazy:

OP, I'm slightly confused about something you said - Conversation got to illegals and an assumption was made that since my kids schools are 95% white they must be going to school with a bunch of illegals.

I didn't realize that most illegals were white?  Around here, most illegals are hispanic.

Our school is 98% white, about 1.5% afterican american, and 0.5% hispanic.  We live in a rural, farm area so it isn't shocking that our area is mainly white.  The hispanics have moved in within the past 5 years due to natural gas drilling.  The drilling companies relocate them here from Texas.

Tracys2
by on Feb. 2, 2014 at 8:23 PM

Ours is not as diverse as I'd like, but it's close. The racial demographics are pretty close to the US as a whole, which is better than my school, but not as cool as it could be. The economic situation is also a nice bell curve, probably set right around the middle of middle class. We have a mixture from upper-middle class suburbia to rural lower-middle-class.  So my kids aren't only around privileged rich kids (which I dislike) but there is enough funding to provide the services that everyone needs.

I wish there were more Spanish- or German-speakers, but only because I could really help out better if there were, because I can speak those languages and it would be fun! Overall, rates of English language learners are about standard for the US. It's like a little microcosm of the country, which is pretty excellent, and a positive place as well.

Indiemom880
by on Feb. 2, 2014 at 8:29 PM

Not very. I think it's like 90% waspy white. There are a few minorities at my kid's school, but basically only because it's suddenly trendy to adopt kids from Haiti or out of the foster care system. So, even if a class has a minority kid in it, they are very likely being raised by a white family. That may change when my kids get to Jr high and all the elementary schools are together, but we live in the most affluent part of town and our school pulls from mostly affluent neighborhoods.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN