Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do they know?

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 3:19 AM
  • 12 Replies
1 mom liked this
How do they know you love them? Add a list on ways you show your kids you love them. I know we get busy as parents and it is easier to give our kids a dollar or more, but besides buying them the essential things in life how do you show your kids you love them?
Here is my list on how I show them I love them: I tell them I love them every day more than once.
I write a special note on the bathroom mirror using a dry erase marker.
I leave a Hershey kiss inside their lunch boxes on random days.
Sometimes I kidnap them from lunch and take them out to eat lunch with them.
I make a CD of their favorite tunes and dance along to the music with them.
I show them the movies and cartoons I used to watch when I was their age and let them hear my favorite songs from when I was in Elementary.
I try to take alot of pictures because I want to save this memories, even if sometimes I don't like my wardrobe.
I let my kids pick my outfit, once in awhile... good thing my dd has style!
I talk to dd about how she will become a lady one day too.
I let them pick what is for dinner on random days.
For Valentine's I will write an A-Z on why I love them. My dd is Amazing in being detail oriented, an ds is Awasome of showing his love for me.
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 3:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Melissa_anne
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 4:40 AM

Dd has a white board in her room that during the night i will write messages of "have a good day at school today, i love you" because DH puts her on the bus that day or i write other messages to her
we have a girls night at home when DH works early.  we paint nails and make a special dinner and eat it while watching a movie she picks
we go on mommy/daughter dates once a month
i help with her homework, i know this shouldn't seem special but.... her and i have gotten into this discussion before about how my parents didn't help me with homework because they were too "busy" to help (too busy watching tv) and i tell her that i help her and make her do the work because i care about her and i care about her getting a good education 

LadyJag
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 9:38 AM
1 mom liked this
  • Hugs and kisses multiple times each day.
  • I always tell DD I love her "always and forever."
  • We take amazing vacations! We choose most of our destinations based on what we know DD will enjoy. (We just returned from DD's [early] surprise birthday cruise on board the Disney Dream.) We also go camping together as a family.
  • We cuddle and read a bedtime story every night. Sometimes, at DD's request, I'll make up stories about DD and an imaginary friend named "Amelia."
  • I've created photo books of DD's "year in review" and once wrote and published a story about DD and her favorite stuffed animal.
  • When we're both off at the end of the year, we have a "girls' day" and get our nails done, have lunch, and go play somewhere. One day might be a pajama day where we stay home, bake cookies, set up a tent in the living room, and watch Disney movies. Another day, I might take her to Chuck E. Cheese. Or we might go to the movie theater.
  • I help her with her homework and with her piano pieces every day.
  • I listen to her problems, cry with her, and make her feel better when she's had a bad day or someone was mean to her.
  • I'm her nurse when she's sick.
  • I take her to Girl Scout events she wants to do, even if the rest of her troop doesn't want to go.
  • I play with her.
  • I make her lunch, and use pancake molds and cookie cutters to cut her sandwich into fun shapes. Sometimes I'll surprise her with a love note.
  • I always make her a special birthday cake, even when it took 5 hours to create "Pixie Hallow," complete with Tinkerbell, her fairy friends, and a waterfall.
  • I send her favorite cake pops to school on her birthday and at Christmas to share with her class.
  • I handmake her a Christmas gift every year. This year, it was a puppet theater.
  • Sometimes we'll look through DD's baby book together.
  • Even though I work full-time, I make time to be involved in DD's school and extra-cirricular activities.
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 9:44 AM
3 moms liked this

The fact that they are still alive should be more than enough of a clue to them that I love them.  sidesplittinglaughter

soymujer
by Mikki on Feb. 5, 2014 at 3:00 PM

I tell them everyday that I love them.  I also will spend one on one time with each one of them, doing something that they love most. 

family in the van   Mom of four

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 9:19 PM
2 moms liked this

I tell them "I love you" every night at bedtime.

I tell them "Have a good day" every morning when they head out to the bus stop.

Talk w/ them, play some w/ them, random hugs/kisses, discipline them.

tinybluemoon
by Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 9:56 PM

Because I tell the little shits that I do.

I spend hours of my precious time every week washing, brushing, straightening and styling their hair.

I've developed an indepth knowlege of DC comics, and read all of them, so that I can debate Robins with them.

I've watched toy story 57 times in the last year alone.

I always give them the last slice of pizza

I quit my job that I love at the company I built from the ground up because DS3 needed me at home to care for him, even though I hate being a SAHM.

I jump on the trampoline with them for hours even though all I want to do is lay in bed and drink cocktails.

I not only discipline them when I need to, but I take the time to talk about why I did. I'm a right old Danny Tanner.

I interact, and am friendly with their friends mothers. Enough said.

I've eaten at chucky cheese as an adult for them.

I discuss aliens, fairies, wizards and Santa for hours at a time and at great lenghs and with great conviction, even though I know they aren't real, in order to keep the childhood magic alive. I have even, on more than one occasion, gone on early morning hunts for every single one of these beings.

I spend a quater of my life brushing out dolls hair, so they remain pretty and beautiful for them. Even if they've been thrown around outside and have bugs in it.

I painstakingly make and stone their dance costumes, and school play costumes (for their entire school, for free I might add), and play costumes. I swear they have the most beautiful and elaborate batman costume in the world.

I make multiple cookies and cakes at a time because they all like different kinds.

I listen and give advice to their problems like they are the most important thing to ever happen, no matter how petty and mundane they are.

I spare no expense so they can follow their dreams and passions. $750 a month in stable fees? No problem. Orlando for a day long dance compition? Lets go. Need a piece of timber to build that time machine? we better go buy some

I let them play in my wardrobe and with my make-up, even though it kills me inside. I swear they are the only kids around who carry their dolls bottle in designer handbags while wearing real diamonds, but they are only little once and I always find the missing earing somewhere if I look hard enough.

GwenMB
by Gwen on Feb. 5, 2014 at 11:06 PM

Do you think your kids know that the things you do for them are done because you love them?

Everything that I do for my kids, I do because I love them. I don't think they necessarily realize that, though. They think I do all that because it's my job, my 5 yo ds has told me this before.

I think my boys know I love them because I tell them every day, and give hugs and kisses.

I like the a-z of why I love them, though. I'll have to do that for valentines day, too.

Quoting Maryloe: How do they know you love them? Add a list on ways you show your kids you love them. I know we get busy as parents and it is easier to give our kids a dollar or more, but besides buying them the essential things in life how do you show your kids you love them?
Here is my list on how I show them I love them: I tell them I love them every day more than once.
I show them the movies and cartoons I used to watch when I was their age and let them hear my favorite songs from when I was in Elementary.
I try to take alot of pictures because I want to save this memories, even if sometimes I don't like my wardrobe.
For Valentine's I will write an A-Z on why I love them. My dd is Amazing in being detail oriented, an ds is Awasome of showing his love for me.

TroyboysMom
by on Feb. 6, 2014 at 5:00 AM

I write notes on his whiteboard and shadowbox
We never leave each other without giving a hug and a kiss and saying "I love you."
We say "I love you" often
We spend time together playing games, or going to a bookstore together and getting special drinks.
We always make sure to read at night, and sing his lullabies, and to give kissing hands and good night wishes.
We share our interests with him (television programming from when we were little, or whatever)
We go places together (family trips)
I take a TON of pictures, and make photobooks of every year, so that he will be able to look back on those memories and know he was loved.
I write origami notes for his lunch box.
I make him a "picture lunch" (bento style) almost every day.
I listen to him talk about Pokemon and Lego FOREVER.

There are many things I, and we (my husband), do to show him we love him. We really hope it sticks. 

Pukalani79
by on Feb. 6, 2014 at 11:44 AM
  •  I listen to my children. 
  • I support them.
  • I do whatever I can to allow and encourage them to pursue their dreams
  • I tell them every single day

Maryloe
by on Feb. 6, 2014 at 12:59 PM
My dd knows I love her because she analysis EVERYTHING, she seen her friend's moms and compares them with me. She seen moms who slap their kids, moms who do not pack any food for their kids for school recess and lunch, moms who unsupervised their kids at the park, moms who don't play with their children nor say I love you, and she has seen moms who verbal abuse their kids. My ds also knows because me and my ex are total different parents and he has said " I know you love me mom because you hug me, tickle me, and make me yummy food".
My kids have seen the worst parenting in their childhood. One 3 year old boy was left unsupervised at the park, begging for food to everyone, and following us. He said that his mom left him at the park, he was very depressed and my ds said" You can stay with us because my mom doesn't leave us behind because we are family". As much as I was shocked to hear that from my then 3 year old ds, I called to the cops.

Quoting GwenMB:

Do you think your kids know that the things you do for them are done because you love them?

Everything that I do for my kids, I do because I love them. I don't think they necessarily realize that, though. They think I do all that because it's my job, my 5 yo ds has told me this before.

I think my boys know I love them because I tell them every day, and give hugs and kisses.

I like the a-z of why I love them, though. I'll have to do that for valentines day, too.

Quoting Maryloe: How do they know you love them? Add a list on ways you show your kids you love them. I know we get busy as parents and it is easier to give our kids a dollar or more, but besides buying them the essential things in life how do you show your kids you love them?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)