Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I need advice, especially from a teachers point of view

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 8:49 AM
  • 7 Replies
Dd is in first grade and is doing good in all but math. I mean she has gotten 90's on her math test except one she got a 73. But the math is getting harder and harder. One day I had the chance to stay in the classroom and I was so lost the way the teacher was explaining the math problem( but I didn't go to school here until 7 th grade and to me math is confusing no matter what) so maybe I just didn't get the way she taught it, she did go the long way to explain it. Well the class is not doing that good overall but it has to do with the fact that they are very disruptive. So I was asking the pre k teacher a math question( I'm friends with them and they were dd teachers) and they both said it's not the kids fault they are not getting the math is that the teacher is confusing them. One teacher said she shouldn't be teaching addition and subs traction at the same time cause it confuses them more, but if the lesson is in the book she can't just skip it can she? Dd's teacher wants her to stay one day after school because she helps them in math and the pre k teachers are telling me no don't leave her ,it's going to confuse her more. Her teacher wants to see if she truly gets it , if is the talking at her table that gets her confuse or if dd in reality doesn't understand the work. So what do I do? How do I approach it? By the way I volunteer in the class one day and she was teaching about tally and it wasn't confusing .
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 8:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
rockinmomto2
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 8:53 AM

My 2nd grade DD is having issues with math because she forgets what she learned a month ago, and her math lessons are cumulative. In her school, addition and subtraction are separate lessons, but they're often taught in the same week. If she needs the extra help, then let her get the extra help. Also, math is taught very differently than it was when we were kids.

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 8:58 AM
Addition and subtraction should be taught together. They are all based on fact families. If those are the concepts being taught, then you can certainly reinforce them at home and you should. It is very unprofessional, BTW, of the other teachers to tell you that she is teaching the concepts the "wrong way" and I would not listen to them. There is NOT a right or wrong method, just different. As for the disruptive students, that's another issue entirely.
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 9:07 AM
3 moms liked this

Different schools approach lesson planning in different ways, some have every teacher on that grade level teach the same things at the same time, while others have each teacher on her own schedule for lessons.  The math curriculum that we use here spirals through concepts throughout the year.  So it is very possible for the children to have lessons of addition and subtraction within the same week.  A sprialing curriculum has students revisiting concepts frequently istead of focusing on one concept for weeks on end.  The theory is that the concepts will stick with them better since they are refreshed often.

If you dd is struggling and the teacher is offering help, I would take her up on the offer.  Being in a smaller group setting may be exactly what your dd needs.

As far as the pre K teachers go, take what they have to say with a grain of salt.  You never know about personal relationships and they possibly don't care for this teacher.  Like any place of employment, some emloyees like each other more than others.  Not to mention that your dd is now in first grade, not pre k, so the first grade teacher is who you need to be working with to help her.

kaylasmom22
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 9:12 AM
DD is the same way she forgets at lot, but at home she does her hw alone and gets it. It's during her tests that she tends to forget

Quoting rockinmomto2:

My 2nd grade DD is having issues with math because she forgets what she learned a month ago, and her math lessons are cumulative. In her school, addition and subtraction are separate lessons, but they're often taught in the same week. If she needs the extra help, then let her get the extra help. Also, math is taught very differently than it was when we were kids.

kaylasmom22
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 9:16 AM
That's what I thought cause they are on the fact family and tally lesson now. My problem is that the way the math problems are explained confused me at lot and I don't want to make it worse for her. She seems to get it but certain things just confuse her especially word problems. I asked the teacher if she needed tutoring and she said no, she just wants to se how dd does it without her classmates sitting next to her. And I do agree with you , every teacher teaches differently.

Quoting mjande4: Addition and subtraction should be taught together. They are all based on fact families. If those are the concepts being taught, then you can certainly reinforce them at home and you should. It is very unprofessional, BTW, of the other teachers to tell you that she is teaching the concepts the "wrong way" and I would not listen to them. There is NOT a right or wrong method, just different. As for the disruptive students, that's another issue entirely.
kaylasmom22
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 9:22 AM
I think she is using that system too. She is teaching tally( addition and substraction) word problems but she is going back to simple addition as well.I see that she starts a new lesson but will go back on the old lessons too. Honestly she had been a great teacher who has been very approachable and has come up to me with any concerns regarding dd. She told me dd is above her level in all the subjects and that this math problem now could be because of the class disruption. She told me " the minute I see Kayla needing extra help you will know"

Quoting steelcrazy:

Different schools approach lesson planning in different ways, some have every teacher on that grade level teach the same things at the same time, while others have each teacher on her own schedule for lessons.  The math curriculum that we use here spirals through concepts throughout the year.  So it is very possible for the children to have lessons of addition and subtraction within the same week.  A sprialing curriculum has students revisiting concepts frequently istead of focusing on one concept for weeks on end.  The theory is that the concepts will stick with them better since they are refreshed often.

If you dd is struggling and the teacher is offering help, I would take her up on the offer.  Being in a smaller group setting may be exactly what your dd needs.

As far as the pre K teachers go, take what they have to say with a grain of salt.  You never know about personal relationships and they possibly don't care for this teacher.  Like any place of employment, some emloyees like each other more than others.  Not to mention that your dd is now in first grade, not pre k, so the first grade teacher is who you need to be working with to help her.

Sillieguze
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 9:55 AM
1 mom liked this

I would have her stay after to work with her teacher.  I teach first grade and we're using a new math program this year.  I feel like some of the ways the books is suggesting to teach subtraction is confusing to my students.  I'm doing the best I can to still cover all the material, but to try to explain it in a way that makes sense to the kids.  As far as the PreK teachers go, unless they've been in your daughter's classroom regularly during Math, they may not have a clear picture of what's actually going on.  Sometimes people hear things from others, or just walk past the room and hear something out of context and they may make a judgment about what's going on.  I'm not saying that they're trying to make her look bad, but they just might not have the whole picture.  Any time a teacher offers extra help for your child I would take it.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)