Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Sever's Disease (PIOG)

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 4:37 PM
  • 15 Replies

Anyone have a child with Sever's disease? It isn't a major thing but presents itself with heel pain. My son has it and is struggling with the pain during his basketball season.

If your child has it how do you relieve their pain?

by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 4:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sarah824
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 4:43 PM

BUMP!

caham
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 4:48 PM

My 13year old is suffering it right now. He had 3 doctors consult on his case and they said it is the worst case they have ever seen. He has multiple fractures in his heels (both feet), also fractures in the growth plate on the side of the foot down from the " pinky toe" and also in the growth plate at mid foot level in both feet. He has been in walking casts (boots on both feet) for 8 weeks so far. He takes anti-inflammatories, and has 20 minutes of stretching to do twice a day.

Christine - Group Owner Home Decor and So Much More!

Looking to get your Sexy Back? In as little as 45 Minutes, I can show you how!! Message me for more details. https://christinecunningham.myitworks.com/

vbway
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 4:48 PM

Yes, my oldest. She had a very bad case. She spent 6 weeks with both of her legs in casts. That helped with one but the other foot was still bothering her a lot. She just got out of a walking boot. She was in that for 5 weeks. Now we are doing daily exercises. She seems to be doing better but she still has some pain occasionally. The only thing I can do for her is giver her ibuprofen and lots of love. She had to drop out of dance, cheer and wasn't allowed to play at recess for 4 months. When she has a bad day, she has to spend 24 hours in her boot. I still keep the wheelchair in the back of the van because I never know when she will need it. 

I know most cases aren't like that. I hope you son feels better soon. 

caham
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 4:52 PM

It actually can become a very serious condition if left untreated. Permanent damage can be done to the feet along with circulation issues. My son sees doctors at a sports medicine complex. His was diagnosed at the beginning of basketball season. He complained of foot pain during JFL but I didn't think too much of it.  When basketball started, he came from practice and literally crawled across the floor because his feet hurt so badly. stretching is very important to heal and prevent further injury. When kids go through rapid growth spurts, their bones grow but the muscles and tendons just get pulled tighter. Hamstring stretches and calf stretches are vital, according to my son's doctor.

sarah824
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 4:53 PM

Wow! That sucks! I sure hope DS's case doesn't get this bad, but he is almost in tears after every basketball practice and I feel so bad for him. Does the ibuprofen seem to help? DS loves taking medicine so I worry about giving him anything and if it isn't really going to help there isn't much point. KWIM? 

How old is she and how long did it go on before they went with casts and a walking boot? DS is 9 and it started when he played football in the fall and that is when the doctor diagnosed it as Sever's. Once football was done it didn't seem to bother him anymore and now it is flaring up again with basketball. 

Quoting vbway:

Yes, my oldest. She had a very bad case. She spent 6 weeks with both of her legs in casts. That helped with one but the other foot was still bothering her a lot. She just got out of a walking boot. She was in that for 5 weeks. Now we are doing daily exercises. She seems to be doing better but she still has some pain occasionally. The only thing I can do for her is giver her ibuprofen and lots of love. She had to drop out of dance, cheer and wasn't allowed to play at recess for 4 months. When she has a bad day, she has to spend 24 hours in her boot. I still keep the wheelchair in the back of the van because I never know when she will need it. 

sarah824
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 4:55 PM

Wow! That sucks! I sure hope DS's case doesn't get this bad, but he is almost in tears after every basketball practice and I feel so bad for him. Do the anti-infammatories seem to help? DS loves taking medicine so I worry about giving him anything and if it isn't really going to help there isn't much point. KWIM? 

How long did it go on before they went with casts and a walking boot? DS is 9 and it started when he played football in the fall and that is when the doctor diagnosed it as Sever's. Once football was done it didn't seem to bother him anymore and now it is flaring up again with basketball. 

Quoting caham:

My 13year old is suffering it right now. He had 3 doctors consult on his case and they said it is the worst case they have ever seen. He has multiple fractures in his heels (both feet), also fractures in the growth plate on the side of the foot down from the " pinky toe" and also in the growth plate at mid foot level in both feet. He has been in walking casts (boots on both feet) for 8 weeks so far. He takes anti-inflammatories, and has 20 minutes of stretching to do twice a day.

SahmTam
by Tammy on Feb. 5, 2014 at 4:58 PM

My daughter (10) has Sever's. Her last bout lasted for about 3 weeks. She iced it, took ibuprofen, and did her stretches. She hasn't been hurting, but is still doing her stretches to hopefully avoid another flare up and more missed dance classes.

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

sarah824
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 5:04 PM

Does the ibuprofen seem to help? How often do you offer it? My son LOVES taking medicine so I try to avoid giving it to him unless it is *really* going to help.  

Quoting SahmTam:

My daughter (10) has Sever's. Her last bout lasted for about 3 weeks. She iced it, took ibuprofen, and did her stretches. She hasn't been hurting, but is still doing her stretches to hopefully avoid another flare up and more missed dance classes.

vbway
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 5:05 PM

She is 8. A teacher in summer care ran into her. They tumbled and my ds's daughter slammed into the ground several times. That was the start of the trouble. I thought it was getting better, but then I noticed that she wasn't playing or running. I set up an appointment. By the time we got in, 3 weeks later, she was only able to walk on her tip toes. She would crawl around the house and cry if she needed to stand for more than 2 minutes. She had no choice but to drop all sports. Cheer, dance and p.e were the first things to go. She was bummed when she wasn't able to sign up for basketball. 

She was put in walking boots (the casted ones) 4 weeks after she first started feeling pain. Ibuprofen didn't help much. She spent many nights up all night crying. Especially right after she got the casts put on. Those first 4 nights were the worst of my life. She cried and begged me to take them off. She kept telling me that she was sorry. I am tearing up now just thinking about it. They did end up giving her stronger meds to help for the first 2 weeks. The casts were forcing her to walk in a way that was very painful. We used the wheelchair a lot during the first 4 weeks in the casts. 

Your son should focus on his excersises. He should take a day or two off to rest when he has a flare. 

My daughters dr. said this will cause her problems until she is about 18.

Quoting sarah824:

Wow! That sucks! I sure hope DS's case doesn't get this bad, but he is almost in tears after every basketball practice and I feel so bad for him. Does the ibuprofen seem to help? DS loves taking medicine so I worry about giving him anything and if it isn't really going to help there isn't much point. KWIM? 

How old is she and how long did it go on before they went with casts and a walking boot? DS is 9 and it started when he played football in the fall and that is when the doctor diagnosed it as Sever's. Once football was done it didn't seem to bother him anymore and now it is flaring up again with basketball. 

Quoting vbway:

caham
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 5:10 PM

We have another doctor appointment on the 13th, that will be 10 weeks in walking boots. When we first started treatment, we tried conservatively, eliminated all extra activity, (PE and sports) added heel cups, Alieve, and stretching. after 2 weeks and no improvement, the other drs were consulted and they decided to do an MRI. At first the started with one boot and crutches, as being in 2 boots can create hip and back problems, after a week in 1 boot his other foot was getting worse so we went back and got another boot. I was told treatment generally taken a minimum of 8 weeks and it is a slow process to move back into activity due to the ease of re injury. My son will not be able to do track, but the drs think JFL this fall should be doable. 

I am not sure if the anti-inflamatories help. He says he can't tell. He had a lot of inflammation showing in his first x-rays so we have continued with them just for that fact and the doctor said to keep taking them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)