Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Report card Good but Bad?

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 9:52 PM
  • 26 Replies
1 mom liked this
My DD in 2nd grade got some s, s+, & s- on her report card. Excellent to me. Her comment is what got me. Stated she can't count by 10s to 1000. DH helped her understand last night. Also says she reads on a m and n level but because she can't comprehend the retelling they are keeping her at a level L. How can I help her with this at home? She is very stubborn at home and refuses to do anything extra after assigned school homework. Another problem was she doesn't use enough details in writing. I was a bit confused because she always brings home great writing activities. Should I give her a topic a week to write about?
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 9:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 10:02 PM

For comprehension, what helped my dd is Scholastic books on dvd.  As well as us, the adults, readnig to her and asking questions after the story.   Talk to her teacher about what you can do for the writing at home.  Perhaps just introduce her to the concept of journaling, a blank book she can write whatever she wants about her day.  Let her know there will be no judgement so if she wants she can draw a picture to go along with the writing.

pinkiebabii
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 10:05 PM
What happened to As and Bs and reading at grade levels not letters.
I dont understand this so here is a bump.
Femommy
by Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 10:11 PM
A's and B's start in 3rd grade. They do reading levels in reading too but only with AR books. She is reading a 3.2 in AR. That is third grade second month. So that's above her grade. It doesn't make any since to me either. I guess every nine weeks they test them using the letter system.
Quoting pinkiebabii: What happened to As and Bs and reading at grade levels not letters.
mommy053008
by Maria on Feb. 5, 2014 at 10:22 PM
My kinder report card isn't Anything like this. So here is a bump.
Luvmy2babies22
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 10:29 PM
Our elementary school does 1-4 and they want all kids at 3 (grade level) 4s are difficult to achieve and the child must be consistently above grade level. We also use reading levels A-Z.

For comprehension, just have her retell the story in her own words or every page or 2 ask her a specific question about what she just read. My son doesn't like to do a lot of extra at home either but they have to learn that to get to the fun stuff, they have to do what's required. That doesn't mean hours of extras but just require her to read the bedtime story of her choosing every couple nights.

More detailed writing begins to include the color or smell of the flowers at the park, what she had to eat when she went out for dinner, etc. this was a comment at my 1st graders last conference as well.

Quoting Femommy: A's and B's start in 3rd grade. They do reading levels in reading too but only with AR books. She is reading a 3.2 in AR. That is third grade second month. So that's above her grade. It doesn't make any since to me either. I guess every nine weeks they test them using the letter system.
Quoting pinkiebabii: What happened to As and Bs and reading at grade levels not letters.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DrDoofenshmirtz
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 10:29 PM
1 mom liked this

The levels are guided reading.  L is perfect for this time of the year in 2nd grade, so she is fine.  It is totally normal for a kid to be able to read beyond what they fully comprehend.  My DD can read almost anything, but cannot comprehend everthing she reads, KWIM?  Decoding is one part of reading.  I would not worry about it at all. 

As far as what you see versus what they say, they are likely basing it on indepedently done assessments.  So an unassisted writing prompt may lack detail, but she can do it with revision and reminders while working in class.  None of those sound like unusual things for a 2nd grader and to me it sounds like those are goals for her for the year.  Every kid has something they are working on.  I would be upset if a teacher didn't have goals for a child!

disneymom2two
by Silver Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 7:57 AM

Decoding is one part of reading; she shouldn't be moving on until her comprehension is at the same level.  That's not to say she shouldn't be reading higher books at home for fun.  Listening comprehension is different than reading comprehension so she should both be read to and read to you; read what she's reading so you can discuss it.  For writing, find a friend or family member she can write to.  You can work on details through this and kids love to get mail.

caligirl7613
by on Feb. 6, 2014 at 8:26 AM
im still confused by the whole, she refuses to do extra work at home and will only do what is assigned.....she is a CHILD. she does not make the rules, you, the parent does. If her school uses A.R testing have her write a short book report on whatever her A.R book for the week is. Maybe half a page or so. This helped my child a bunch, not only with her level, and how much she understands, but also with her horrible handwriting.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Femommy
by Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 9:22 AM

She just gets this attitude when I ask her to do a little extra work for me so I know she has a good idea of how it is done. She will tell me she isn't doing it, write sloppy, write a few words, write something totally different from topic. It could go on. When she does this she looks at me and smiles. I explain that how she is acting isn't nice and I don't have to take my time to help her. She tells me she doesn't care. I'm tired of this attitude.... Sometimes I just let it go and talk to her teacher when I go in on Fridays. She looks at me crazy because DS is so sweet and does what she is told at school. I'm just afraid if I push it too much at home she is going to loose interest in learning. She is smart she just doesn't apply herself sometimes. Oh and something I absolutely can't stand is when I'm trying to explain something she plugs her ears. UGH.... time after time I tell her that is disrespectful and she seems to not even care. Or she will tell me, "well mrs.____ doesn't teach us that way". I just feel so hopless sometimes but we always get her homework done.

Quoting caligirl7613: im still confused by the whole, she refuses to do extra work at home and will only do what is assigned.....she is a CHILD. she does not make the rules, you, the parent does. If her school uses A.R testing have her write a short book report on whatever her A.R book for the week is. Maybe half a page or so. This helped my child a bunch, not only with her level, and how much she understands, but also with her horrible handwriting.

cindilou13
by on Feb. 6, 2014 at 9:26 AM

Comprehension is a big part of reading level...it is very typical that they wouldn't move her up until she can not only read but understand and be able to sum up in her own words what she read.  I would just have her read at home...both alone and with someone, to herself and out loud.  If she doesn't want to re-read school assignments then have her read something else of her choosing...improving her reading is the key and it doesn't matter what she does do this.  Just make sure she's not rushing.  Quiz her after or have her write about, which will also help her writing.

As far as details in writing it is also typcial for kids not to go into a lot of detail, I know my DS wants to write as little as he can get by with.  What we had to do is tell him he has to pick a certain amount of things to talk about and and write a sentence about each...how many depends on what he's writing about.  He has to write notes about his reading on a log each night, we tell him to pick at least 3 things to mention and write a different sentence about each one.  So if he read a book about a certain type of snake, he can't just write: "The snake is black.  The snake is long.  The snake is poisonous."  He has to write each sentence using different sentence structure and more information/adjectives even if about the same noun.   The whatever snake is black.  It can grow to be three feet long.  This kind of snake is poisonous to humans.   (And no, he wouldn't say 'whatever', that was me, I was drawing a blank on the name lol).  That makes him both pay more attention to the reading and be more detailed in his writing.  I would suggest doing something like that, it doesn't have to be the same exactly, but something to make her think more about what she's writing about.  As I said combine the reading with the writing and both should improve, make your own non-school reading log where she tells you about what she read. She can do the same with something she's made up if she'd rather...tell her to write a short story about her favorite toy or doll or character or even herself or you, but that is has to be at least 6 sentences of her own words

On the math...it sounds like that was pretty easy to address...sometimes they just don't get a concept immediately.  Most either get it just fine with continued work or a litlte more explanation.  DS got a D on a fraction pre-test and we were flipping out, but then realized he just didn't really understand it when first presented.  A little more work and explanation and he got it in no time.

As far as her being stubborn and refusing to do anything extra...you are the parent.  Make it part of the routine and if she doesn't do it she loses a privilege or can't do something else she wants to.  That doesn't mean you can't encourage her, help her some, or do a learning activity that is also fun, but it should be a requirement that something gets done one way or the other.  If she refuses enact a consequence and stick to it. 

I find it odd they don't have letter grades in 2nd grade!  My kids had them even in kindergarten along with levels of how they were doing in each subject (Mastered, Progressing, Not Progressing, N/A), and only got the Os and Ss in the specials (art, music, gym) and in lifelines (what I would have called conduct or comportant lol).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)