Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Do you give your kids an allowance?

Posted by on Feb. 6, 2014 at 10:36 AM
  • 21 Replies
I am a single mom of 2 boys ages 11 & 9 and I was just wondering how many parents out there give there kids an allowance, how much, and what do they have to do to earn the allowance?
by on Feb. 6, 2014 at 10:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lenashark
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 10:37 AM

No, they have chores, they don't get paid for them.

IhartU
by Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 10:48 AM
1 mom liked this

Nope. They live here and they can help out around the house FOR FREE.

MyNameIs-
by Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 11:06 AM
1 mom liked this
I give my dd $2 a week for doing her chores. Then I can teach her about responsible money management. Or something to that effect!
Pukalani79
by Silver Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 11:28 AM

I dont, but they have been asking for chores so they can earn money.  We're considering it.  Right now whatever needs to be done, everyone pitches in and does it, so they dont have specific chores. We do pay my son (12) to mow the lawns each week in the summer and if we had gotten enough snow, we would have paid him to shovel the driveway as well.

mommyneedssleep
by Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 11:32 AM
Mine is 9, he does chores around the house and yes he gets money. He gets 15 every Friday for kids night out, and if he is invited to do something else on another night he has to do a couple more things he wouldnt do.
Andrewsmom70
by Gold Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 11:51 AM

Yes. My son is 8 but we started allowance at 7. 

His expectations include the following:

keep room clean

dirty clothes in clothes hamper

put up clean clothes

clean bathroom sink

Help load and unload the dishwasher

get good reports at school

Make bed

in the summer, instead of good reports from school, he has to read 20 minutes most days he's with me

We will add other responsibilities as he gets older. He gets paid a dollar per year of age.

When he gets paid, he puts part in his spend bank, part in his save bank, and part in his share bank. We used his share money this year to buy Christmas presents for a needy child his age.

soymujer
by Mikki on Feb. 6, 2014 at 12:21 PM

I don't give an allowance but I think I'm going to start what Dave Ramsey suggest.  They have 5 chores throughout the week and get a dollar for every chore they do.  They don't do it, they don't get paid.

family in the van   Mom of four

diaperstodating
by Queen24Princes on Feb. 6, 2014 at 12:26 PM
I am a (soon to be divorced) single mom and my father pays my older sons allowance. He comes to my house once a week to make sure the chores are done, and pays my teen and tween.
mcginnisc
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 12:42 PM

No. 

We are of the mind that we need to teach them how to earn money like their father does. He works and gets a salary..he is not just given money because he exists. They are not going to be just handed money every week because they exist. They must earn any money they are given. 

They are 8 and 5 and they each have things they are expected to do that they do not get paid for and they each have a list of extras that they get paid $.50 for...they both have the option of earning $6.50 per week. If they don't do the extras, they don't get paid...just like if Dh was hourly and didn't go to work- he would not get paid. 

It is our job as parents to teach them responsibility, a good work ethic, and also how to save money...my oldest has over $100 in her room right now that she has saved since Christmas...my youngest has about $40 that she has saved since Christmas. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

blondie.mom
by on Feb. 6, 2014 at 12:48 PM
Ds does chores daily, and he gets $5 a week. If he skips a day of chores, or only does half, he still has to finish the weeks chores but doesn't get his allowance.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)