Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

We had The Talk

Posted by on Feb. 6, 2014 at 10:36 PM
  • 28 Replies

My eight year old ds and I had the talk today. We were driving to the airport and some how the topic came up. I try to keep everything honest and age appropriate with him, but he asked a lot of questions. During the conversation he told me that one of his classmates has a girlfriend and that he says he wants to have sex with her. I explained to ds that his friend probably didn't really know what it means. We talked about waiting, birth control, using protection, diseases, how a girl gets pregnant, puberty, anal, and where babies come from. I defnitely wasn't prepared for the conversation and have no idea where he got some of his questions from. He asked about anal (didn't know the name of it) and I was shocked because I have no idea where he heard about it.

What would you do if your child brought it up? Have you had the talk yet?

by on Feb. 6, 2014 at 10:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mrs.Jones2314
by Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 10:39 PM
1 mom liked this
I haven't had the talk with my daughter yet. She is 8. But very soon (probably next week) I am buying the book "a The Caring and Keeping of You" and we are going to read it together, and I am going to answer any questions she has.
MissyB1011
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 10:41 PM
1 mom liked this

I have always tried to be honest, yet age appropriate with both my kids. My DD knew how babies got here when she was 5 since I was pregnant with her brother at the time. She was around 8 when I really had the talk. She was starting to show signs of maturing and I wanted her to be prepared.

Andrewsmom70
by Gold Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 10:56 PM

Does anyone have recommendations for books for boys on this topic? My son is 8 but reading on a 5th grade reading level so we are open to a variety of reading levels.

TroyboysMom
by on Feb. 7, 2014 at 1:56 AM

Yes, we have, repeatedly. I never looked at it as "a talk," I guess, but more as a perpetual informational conversation, or something like that. We just talked about things as they came up, in an age appropriate way. It started when Ds was about 4.5, and his auntie was having a baby, and he asked about that. It's grown from there. 

cjsmom1
by Silver Member on Feb. 7, 2014 at 7:42 AM
We've had small age appropriate conversations about these things. Yesterday though we talked about everything and I thought this conversation wouldn't happen for a few years.

Quoting TroyboysMom:

Yes, we have, repeatedly. I never looked at it as "a talk," I guess, but more as a perpetual informational conversation, or something like that. We just talked about things as they came up, in an age appropriate way. It started when Ds was about 4.5, and his auntie was having a baby, and he asked about that. It's grown from there. 

kiwimom74
by Member on Feb. 7, 2014 at 8:52 AM

DD was 6 when I had to sit her down.... she had been asking questions and I had tried only to give her the info I thought she needed but her q's started coming at the  grocery store  and other places and she wasn't the quietest child.

I bought Amazing You by Dr Gail Saltz.   There were parts I just missed but after reading the book together she has hardly asked anything since.  I don't think she would remember any of it but I guess it gave her enough info to satisfy her.

Raeann11
by Bronze Member on Feb. 7, 2014 at 10:08 AM

We have always answered their questions from a young age, age appropriate. My oldest when she was 8. We sat down and read a book and talked about it all. My younger two happened to be in the same room playing and my middle asked some questions so I answered her. We have always been open about it.

JC2223
by Bronze Member on Feb. 7, 2014 at 10:38 AM

DD is 10 and we've had many talks over the last few years, I answer questions appropriately for her age, but always truthful. I've never seen it as one talk, it's an ongoing process. Neither of us have ever been uncomfortable talking and I hope that continuous communication between us helps her as she goes through the most challenging of years ahead of her.

Dodie702
by Doriane on Feb. 7, 2014 at 11:08 AM
Its great that you are being truthful with your ds. I haven't had the conversation yet with my kids yet. They are 5 and 4.
cindilou13
by on Feb. 7, 2014 at 1:51 PM

My DS is 9 and we've had small small conversations but not the full blown talk.  The next time he brings something up, I think it will be time.  DH doesn't agree though, so that's what I have to work on right now. 

I plan to have the talk with DD6 at 8 possibly but definitely no later than 9. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN