Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Feeling pretty bummed...my kids weren't chosen for charter school.

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2014 at 5:12 PM
  • 12 Replies

DS 3rd grade is number 22 on the waiting list

DD Kindergarten is number 52 on the waiting list.

I knew the chances were slim, as there were a lot of applicants, but I still feel pretty bummed.

At least my oldest daughter got into the charter High School.  Their lottery was 2 weeks ago.

Here's to me hoping 53 parents decide not to send their kids to that school after all.

by on Feb. 8, 2014 at 5:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommy053008
by Maria on Feb. 8, 2014 at 6:07 PM
Where are they going to school in the mean time? That sucks I know how disappointed I'd feel if DD didn't get into her school of choice.
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Feb. 8, 2014 at 6:12 PM

Sorry for the disappointment.  We have never had to go through this.  DD is going to our regular public school and is thriving there.

GwenMB
by Gwen on Feb. 8, 2014 at 6:13 PM

I'm sorry. :(

mamadee1971
by Dionne on Feb. 8, 2014 at 8:12 PM

That's strange, your two youngest should have been easily accepted since your oldest is attending/been accepted there.  My both of my kids are in a public charter school, but before my son joined his older sister, the school didn't have a pre-k4 so he went to the regular public school a block and half down the street, but when it was time to put his name in the lottery, I was there the first day the sign up began.  There's a higher chance of a student being accepted if they live in certain zip codes (preferably close to the school), if there's a sibling(s) or parent(s) who are teachers or staff at the school.  So, there is a next time, but you have to stay positive, though.

keisha613
by Member on Feb. 8, 2014 at 8:13 PM
Actually the schools they attend are great. Really great. North Fulton County, Ga. We are currently renting, ready to buy, but the houses in our immediate neighborhoods are too expensive. I was hoping they got into the charter school so I would be able to move without them having to switch schools. With the charter school, once they are in, they are end until they graduate. And siblings get priority over others in the community. It would have been very nice to get in. The high school and elementary school is not connected. That's why they didn't automatically get in when my oldest got into her school.
keisha613
by Member on Feb. 8, 2014 at 8:13 PM
Actually the schools they attend are great. Really great. North Fulton County, Ga. We are currently renting, ready to buy, but the houses in our immediate neighborhoods are too expensive. I was hoping they got into the charter school so I would be able to move without them having to switch schools. With the charter school, once they are in, they are end until they graduate. And siblings get priority over others in the community. It would have been very nice to get in. The high school and elementary school is not connected. That's why they didn't automatically get in when my oldest got into her school.
keisha613
by Member on Feb. 8, 2014 at 8:19 PM
The high school is different from the elementary school. It's not the same school. That's why they didn't automatically get in.

Here they say it's totally random. As long as you live in the county, you can attend. Or at least enter the lottery to attend. Siblings get priority so there was 30 siblings of other kids already in before the lottery started. I was at the lottery. I even helped draw some of the names. It was all random and no one got preference except those with a sibling currently attending.

Quoting mamadee1971:

That's strange, your two youngest should have been easily accepted since your oldest is attending/been accepted there.  My both of my kids are in a public charter school, but before my son joined his older sister, the school didn't have a pre-k4 so he went to the regular public school a block and half down the street, but when it was time to put his name in the lottery, I was there the first day the sign up began.  There's a higher chance of a student being accepted if they live in certain zip codes (preferably close to the school), if there's a sibling(s) or parent(s) who are teachers or staff at the school.  So, there is a next time, but you have to stay positive, though.

Maryloe
by Member on Feb. 8, 2014 at 9:29 PM
I am waiting for our charter lottery on the 6th of March. Wish me luck!
Mipsy
by Member on Feb. 9, 2014 at 1:46 AM
Is it a lottery or first come first serve? Ours is first come first serve so the year before my son went into K I applied in September for him to attend the next year. Then once they are students at the school, they have to resubmit for the next year but they are automatically enrolled as long as they submit on time.
keisha613
by Member on Feb. 9, 2014 at 3:03 AM
Good luck!!

Quoting Maryloe: I am waiting for our charter lottery on the 6th of March. Wish me luck!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)