Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

I don't know what to do!?

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2014 at 8:38 AM
  • 30 Replies
My 8 year old, Nick, was adopted when he was 5. He has been living with us for 3 years. His parents were our friends. They died in a horrible car accident that also killed Nick's brother. When Nick was brought into our family we had a 8 year old girl (adopted), almost 3 year old twin girls (adopted) and a biological newborn. Things were crazy when we brought him in. He Didnt talk to anyone not even me or my husband. He knew both of us before, his parents considered us his aunt and uncle. Well Nick completely stopped talking not to just us but also at school. He Didnt have to switch schools because we lived in the same district as he did previously. He just Didnt talk to anyone. We sent him to a psychologist and that helped. He began talking again when he was 6. We continued with the psychologist even though he was talking just to help him and ensure that he would continue talking. We stopped when he was 7 and did great with talking until recently.

His teacher at school informed us on Friday that Nick's class participation grades have gone down throughout the year. I also noticed that he started saying less to us unless he was in just like a one-on-one talk in a place where his brothers and sisters can't hear. I'm beginning to wonder if social anxiety could be the issue. He says he sits alone at lunch, has no friends, and even says that his siblings hate him (I know that's not true because our 3 year old son absolutely LOVES Nick). I just don't know what to do. I think Nick is going back into his depression again, too. I'm considering taking him back to the psychologist but I don't know.

Any advice/suggestions?
by on Feb. 9, 2014 at 8:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Feb. 9, 2014 at 8:43 AM
4 moms liked this
I would get right back into therapy and go from there.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
katiebug840204
by Katie on Feb. 9, 2014 at 8:47 AM
Id definitely get him back with the psychologist.
mommy053008
by Maria on Feb. 9, 2014 at 8:54 AM
Get him back in therapy.
mjande4
by Platinum Member on Feb. 9, 2014 at 10:18 AM

I agree with all the other ladies!

JC2223
by Bronze Member on Feb. 9, 2014 at 10:20 AM

Absolutely get him back into therapy!

diaperstodating
by Angel on Feb. 9, 2014 at 10:22 AM
I agree with the ladies!
ljmom24
by Bronze Member on Feb. 9, 2014 at 10:23 AM
1 mom liked this
I agree get him back into therapy. A loss like that is a huge thing you don't really get over and depression is a lifetime thing.
Pukalani79
by Silver Member on Feb. 9, 2014 at 11:16 AM

Take him back to therapy. 

Andrewsmom70
by Gold Member on Feb. 9, 2014 at 11:46 AM
3 moms liked this

I'm not even sure why you are even questioning putting him back in therapy. This child lost ALL his family in one awful accident. That's not something you get over within a year or two, especially as a child when you don't have coping skills or any say in what happens to you. He needs long term therapy without a doubt.

Miller0305
by Member on Feb. 9, 2014 at 1:27 PM

Immediately!  His parents and sibling died!  That's not something he will ever get over but he needs to learn how to cope.  Why are you not sure about therapy?  He should have never stopped!

Quoting JC2223:

Absolutely get him back into therapy!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)