Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Death of a teacher mini- update in post

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2014 at 4:59 PM
  • 10 Replies

I am so sad for my 8 year old (3rd grade). Her 2nd grade teacher passed away this weekend. Due to an "extended illness". She had taken the first half of the year off and was due to return in March.

Cassidy (DD) and her friend  already bought craft projects from Michaels  that they were going to  make for her for her return.

My DD seems to be doing well with the news, but I did tell her that there would be extra adults at school tomorrow if she needs to talk.

This woman was the greatest teacher she has had thus far. She loved my daughter even though she has her little quirks, always gave hugs to me when I came to help in the class, etc ,etc...

We are also planning on going to the wake (granted it's not private) because I think it will help with some closure.

Does anyone have any other tips or ideas that I should be utilizing with DD?

Thanks for reading.  

Mini update 2/10/14- DD came home from school and said that her and her friend went to the Guidance counciler at lunch time to talk about it.  She said it "helped a little". She went on to tell me that the Teacher passed away at home, with her Dad by her side.  She says she wants to go to the wake, but is afraid she will cry. I told her it is okay to cry at a wake, but if she decided not to go that was okay too.

Thanks again for your support.

by on Feb. 9, 2014 at 4:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Feb. 9, 2014 at 5:06 PM
Each kid handles grief differently. Just be open to how she wamts to deal with it. She may need space, or to talk. Just go with it and don't poush it.
i.love.my.5kids
by New Member on Feb. 9, 2014 at 5:08 PM
Just let your daughter know that she can talk to either you or the adults at her school if she needs to talk. Also I'd let her know its ok to feel sad or to cry about it.
Also if she's never been to a wake before I'd kinda give her a little information about it. Like what she should expect. Say like that their will be people crying and some telling stories and laughing you know?

I'm sorry for your daughter's loss.
maxswolfsuit
by Max on Feb. 9, 2014 at 5:10 PM

I am so sorry to hear about that. 

We lost a teacher last fall. The kids dealt with it in many different ways. I would just let her express her feelings and make sure she has someone to talk to if she needs it. 

mommy053008
by Maria on Feb. 9, 2014 at 6:56 PM
Just be there for her. I can't even imagine.
LittleBirdFly
by Member on Feb. 9, 2014 at 6:58 PM

sorry to hear that. I myself been thru this when I went to school. He was a great funny teacher.

mcginnisc
by Bronze Member on Feb. 9, 2014 at 7:00 PM

This sounds eerily famililar...a teacher at my niece's private school ( our Church) died from cancer yesterday morning. 

I'm sorry. I have no clue how to help you on this as we have not had to deal with death yet with our girls. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

GwenMB
by Gwen on Feb. 9, 2014 at 8:09 PM

I'm sorry. (((hugs))) Sounds like a tough situation for everyone.  I agree that just being open to how she wants to grieve is important - not everyone grieves the same way.

Cassidysmom611
by Bronze Member on Feb. 9, 2014 at 9:08 PM

Thank you all. I just reminded her that i was there if she needed to talk, but left it at that. 

It was so unexpected. Even though I am almost 30 years old, death is still a hard thing for me to come to terms with.

LovlyRita
by Bronze Member on Feb. 10, 2014 at 12:31 AM
My daughter lost a classmate when she was 7. I honestly think she just did not really understand. We walk on his Relay for Life team every year and that has become a lot more meaningful to her. I would accept it if she does not seem greatly affected and just share how you feel and give her openings if she feels sad or confused by all the crying.
Cassidysmom611
by Bronze Member on Feb. 10, 2014 at 3:51 PM

bump for mini update

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)