Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

His grade! Not mine!

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2014 at 5:20 PM
  • 51 Replies
1 mom liked this
I just need to vent a moment here.

My son is in 5th grade. He has a science fair project due next week that he still hasn't completed. I reminded him TWICE yesterday about it and I swear I will NOT remind him again. If he doesn't want to finish it then so be it! He can can get TWO F's for a grade. Maybe he will learn how important it is to do your required school work! Humph!!
by on Feb. 9, 2014 at 5:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Luvmy2babies22
by Bronze Member on Feb. 9, 2014 at 5:23 PM
2 moms liked this
That would be hard to let go but, you are right, he has to learn. He's more than capable of spearheading that task so good for you for teaching that lesson. He has to self motivate!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maxswolfsuit
by Max on Feb. 9, 2014 at 5:27 PM
6 moms liked this

Good for you! 

Letting the get the F now will teach him a lesson that will stay with him for life. 

Most parents seem to cave and do it for them. So most kids never learn the consequences of their irresponsibility until high school or even college. Kids learn from failure. Protecting them from it does nothing but hurt them in the long run. 

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Feb. 9, 2014 at 5:28 PM
1 mom liked this

bowing down

DrDoofenshmirtz
by Silver Member on Feb. 9, 2014 at 5:30 PM
1 mom liked this

Good for you!  If he is going to fail, elementary is the time for it.  Too many parents wait until their kid is too old and has learned to lean on parental support and then it is too late for them to fail without if affecting a GPA.  Good job mama!

HIJKLM
by Member on Feb. 9, 2014 at 5:32 PM
I do the same thing with my kids. Last year I told DDs teacher I was doing it and to not let her off the hook for missing assignments. After losing recess a couple times she started doing her work.
Lorena
by on Feb. 9, 2014 at 5:35 PM
The teachers around here seem to think the parents are to do the work if the kids don't. We have been yelled at for them not doing their project even though we reminded them several times. It seems all my kids so far have had a break down in 5th grade.
I think it is good for them to deal with the consequences of not doing their own work.
soymujer
by Mikki on Feb. 9, 2014 at 5:41 PM
1 mom liked this

Good for you!  I'm glad I'm not the only parent that does that.

family in the van   Mom of four

katiebug840204
by Katie on Feb. 9, 2014 at 5:51 PM
1 mom liked this
Oh it is very hard to not keep saying anything! But I'm not going to!

Quoting Luvmy2babies22: That would be hard to let go but, you are right, he has to learn. He's more than capable of spearheading that task so good for you for teaching that lesson. He has to self motivate!
katiebug840204
by Katie on Feb. 9, 2014 at 5:52 PM
Thank you! I vowed this year that he was going to do everything by himself with me over looking him and doing nothing else and I swear I'm sticking to it!!

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Good for you! 

Letting the get the F now will teach him a lesson that will stay with him for life. 

Most parents seem to cave and do it for them. So most kids never learn the consequences of their irresponsibility until high school or even college. Kids learn from failure. Protecting them from it does nothing but hurt them in the long run. 

katiebug840204
by Katie on Feb. 9, 2014 at 5:54 PM
1 mom liked this
I've written a letter to his teacher letting her know ahead of time that he isn't doing it that way she is prepared.

Quoting HIJKLM: I do the same thing with my kids. Last year I told DDs teacher I was doing it and to not let her off the hook for missing assignments. After losing recess a couple times she started doing her work.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN