Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

when do school age kids start having crushes?

Posted by on Feb. 10, 2014 at 9:03 AM
  • 57 Replies

I'm totally curious because I have a ten year old daughter that has shown NO interest in boys whatsoever.  I know your thinking this is a good thing but my husband and I are wondering if that is normal?  While her friends are talking about One Direction and boys, she is into Taylor Swift.  She has told me she hasn't had a crush on anyone (boy or girl..haha).  She is completely social crazy wanting to spend every second after school playing with friends on our street which is very normal but sometimes, its like the world is ending if she can't go outside and see her best friend.  I'm wondering if perhaps she is girl crushing on her! I may be reaching here but this is my first kid and I'm not familiar with all the developement stages. I know I liked boys in second grade and my husband said same thing.  Can anyone tell me what is normal for kids to start liking or crushing on boys/girls???  

by on Feb. 10, 2014 at 9:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
barefootNky113
by Member on Feb. 10, 2014 at 9:06 AM
I didnt take an interest in boys until I was in highschool. But my 6 year old is boy crazy! Im gonna have my hands full.
soymujer
by Mikki on Feb. 10, 2014 at 9:12 AM

Like the previous poster, I didn't start my interest in boys till high school.  My 8 year old started in kindergarten, my daughter started around 5th grade/

family in the van   Mom of four

cupcake_mom
by Bronze Member on Feb. 10, 2014 at 9:17 AM
1 mom liked this
I was in maybe 4th or 5th grade. But i had friends that weren't interested until much later. Your dd might just be a late bloomer. I wouldn't worry so much hun
KikiKia
by Member on Feb. 10, 2014 at 9:21 AM

Yea I had my first crush in preschool (he asked my Dad if he could marry me, lol), and then again in 2nd grade.

DS is 8 and he is showing no interest

DD is 4 and she told me she has a boyfriend. ha

momwriter
by Member on Feb. 10, 2014 at 9:23 AM

I'm not sure when my boys started but I started in 2nd or 3rd grade.

mom2jessnky
by Bronze Member on Feb. 10, 2014 at 9:25 AM

My 11yo hasn't had any yet. She likes 1Direction's music but isn't all "OMG" about them. So I don't think it's weird.

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Feb. 10, 2014 at 9:42 AM

I didn't have any little crushes until 6th gr, and didn't really start being interested in boys beyond "he's cute" until h.s.

Dd had her first crush in pre-k. She's in 2nd gr now and has 4 boys she has a crush on. She's also very social and whines that she has no one to play w/ if she can't go see if a friend can play. I'm not worried about the crushes, and she needs to learn to play on her own, even when she'd rather being playing w/ friends.

HaileysMom07180
by Bronze Member on Feb. 10, 2014 at 9:43 AM

dd 7 has a crush on a boy that my friend babysits.  He is also 7 and we have had to have a few talks about giving people their space

Lydlou02
by Bronze Member on Feb. 10, 2014 at 9:43 AM
Some kids get crushes before they're two, othe's don't. Doesn't matter.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CarlysMommy1
by Bronze Member on Feb. 10, 2014 at 9:44 AM

DD is 7 and in 1st grade and she has a crush on a boy that was in her class last year.  She told me that he's her boyfriend.  I asked her if he knows that he's her boyfriend and she said that he doesn't.

The first time I remember having a crush was when I was in the 4th or 5th grade.  I know there was a little boy in my kindergarten class that liked me.  He always followed me and tried to sit by me and I didn't like him at all.  I still remember his name - Tyler.  He had curly black hair and my mom thought he was sooo cute.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)