Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

My 8yr old takes 3hrs to do HW!!!!

Posted by on Feb. 11, 2014 at 6:29 PM
  • 57 Replies
Do any of your kids take over 2-3hrs to do homework?? It drives me up a wall!!!! He KNOWS the work and what he has to do but, he keeps getting up from the table, tells stories, asks unrelated questions, jokes around with his younger brother, etc.. The ONLY time he will sit and do his homework is if I'm sitting RIGHT BESIDE him.. Am I the only one?
by on Feb. 11, 2014 at 6:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Feb. 11, 2014 at 6:38 PM

DD can be like that as well if we dont get her right to task.  She is even worse at bedtime though , constantly getting up.  She is in 2nd grade, 7 yrs old (8 in march).   Takes 2 hours to do a 5 minute math worksheet LOL.

themommy4real
by on Feb. 11, 2014 at 6:44 PM
YES!!! Bedtime is another one!! He is also in 2nd.. My other son is in 1st grade and he is speedy Gonzalez with homework because he wants to get it over with.
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Feb. 11, 2014 at 7:58 PM

Would it help if you had your son do his HW in his room?  That would eliminate distractions, so maybe he wouldn't keep getting up.  My boys have always done their homework in their rooms because they hated distractions.  HW shouldn't take more than 20-30 minutes in second grade.

Andrewsmom70
by Gold Member on Feb. 11, 2014 at 7:59 PM

Nope. We don't have that problem. My son knows there is no tv or video games until homework is done. If we had problems, we would possibly take away karate if necessary.

themommy4real
by on Feb. 11, 2014 at 8:13 PM
1 mom liked this
Video games??? My boys KNOW there are no games til Friday/Saturday.. They know better to even ask me on a school night... And no tv til hw is done.. He just wants to do every but homework..

I will separate the boys tomorrow and see how that works out.. wish me luck!

Quoting Andrewsmom70:

Nope. We don't have that problem. My son knows there is no tv or video games until homework is done. If we had problems, we would possibly take away karate if necessary.

Lisette1528
by Member on Feb. 11, 2014 at 8:21 PM

My 1st grader has taken up to 2 hours before.  HW comes before everything else, so that has helped some.  His self-made distractions are the problem (bathroom, drink, move the chair, sharpen the pencil, etc.).  Rearranging those 'distractions' and taking care of them first has helped some, but he's not to the point where he can completely do things solo, so I'm normally in the room with him and he likes to TALK. NON-STOP.  That's his biggest hold-up.

themommy4real
by on Feb. 11, 2014 at 8:25 PM
Are our boys related? Lol... I'm dying laughin over here at "move the chair, sharpen pencil"... that is my son... he will not stop talking.. at the same time, he's too funny and I love his little stories and questions about space and science that I sometimes have to Google to find out.. lol

Quoting Lisette1528:

My 1st grader has taken up to 2 hours before.  HW comes before everything else, so that has helped some.  His self-made distractions are the problem (bathroom, drink, move the chair, sharpen the pencil, etc.).  Rearranging those 'distractions' and taking care of them first has helped some, but he's not to the point where he can completely do things solo, so I'm normally in the room with him and he likes to TALK. NON-STOP.  That's his biggest hold-up.

themommy4real
by on Feb. 11, 2014 at 8:27 PM
I'm trying this tomorrow and will update.. thank you.. I think we tried this a while back but he kept walking around up there, etc.. we will try again.

Quoting steelcrazy:

Would it help if you had your son do his HW in his room?  That would eliminate distractions, so maybe he wouldn't keep getting up.  My boys have always done their homework in their rooms because they hated distractions.  HW shouldn't take more than 20-30 minutes in second grade.

Lisette1528
by Member on Feb. 11, 2014 at 8:39 PM

Probably separated at birth.  LOL.  Sometimes I don't mind, and he asks good questions but it takes him forever sometimes!

Quoting themommy4real: Are our boys related? Lol... I'm dying laughin over here at "move the chair, sharpen pencil"... that is my son... he will not stop talking.. at the same time, he's too funny and I love his little stories and questions about space and science that I sometimes have to Google to find out.. lol

Quoting Lisette1528:

themommy4real
by on Feb. 11, 2014 at 8:42 PM
Same here..

Quoting Lisette1528:

Probably separated at birth.  LOL.  Sometimes I don't mind, and he asks good questions but it takes him forever sometimes!

Quoting themommy4real: Are our boys related? Lol... I'm dying laughin over here at "move the chair, sharpen pencil"... that is my son... he will not stop talking.. at the same time, he's too funny and I love his little stories and questions about space and science that I sometimes have to Google to find out.. lol

Quoting Lisette1528:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)