Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

No video games on a school night.

Posted by on Feb. 11, 2014 at 8:21 PM
  • 29 Replies
I never let boys play video games on a school night.. There's barely any time for tv at all.. I took the boys out of swimming and karate because of our schedule and also to save some money but what other activities do you moms do with your kids at home on a school night?

Just curious.. picking up some different ideas.
by on Feb. 11, 2014 at 8:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Feb. 11, 2014 at 8:27 PM
1 mom liked this

My boys have quite a few hours every evening to do as they wish.  I try to keep things unstructured in the evenings to give them a break after being in school all day.  Both boys have extracurriculars a few evenings a week, but not every night.

My elementary aged child gets home a little bit before 4:00 and has homework done before 4:30.  After that he is free to do as he wishes for the rest of the evening.  He knows that he has to shower at some point and lights are out at 9:00.  Currently he is playing Legos in his room.

Pnukey
by on Feb. 11, 2014 at 8:29 PM
1 mom liked this

My son plays Minecraft on his computer. He is 8. My daughter draws and writes stories. She is 13. She also goes on her computer.

LaughCryLive
by on Feb. 11, 2014 at 8:30 PM
1 mom liked this

homework, reading, cards, books, checkers and other board games.

natural_s
by Bronze Member on Feb. 11, 2014 at 8:33 PM
1 mom liked this

My kids are not allowed electronics on school nights either. After homework my 7yr old is free to play other things and he is usually running around playing with his other siblings. Sometimes he likes to play a few games of UNO with mommy.

Jessiejack
by Bronze Member on Feb. 11, 2014 at 8:54 PM
1 mom liked this

Same here for video games. My kids right now are earning TV time each night to watch the Olympics. We love doing that together and have even moved dinner to the TV. The kids think its so much fun because most of the time they don't get TV during school weeks never mind dinner at the same time. It only happens once every 4 years so I want them to experience it. Most of the time they help with cooking dinner, setting the table and we will sit 4 out of 5 nights together for 1-11/2 hours talking and enjoying each other at the dinner table. Then it's showers, story and bed. 6yr old is 7pm bed time and 16 yr old is 9pm. When the weather is nice again it will be walks after dinner or trips to the park. 

themommy4real
by on Feb. 11, 2014 at 9:01 PM
Hubby works late so every night we sits just the boys and I at the table.. We also talk about our day, etc.. But, I do turn on the tv also... I like the way you think though, thanks!

Quoting Jessiejack:

Same here for video games. My kids right now are earning TV time each night to watch the Olympics. We love doing that together and have even moved dinner to the TV. The kids think its so much fun because most of the time they don't get TV during school weeks never mind dinner at the same time. It only happens once every 4 years so I want them to experience it. Most of the time they help with cooking dinner, setting the table and we will sit 4 out of 5 nights together for 1-11/2 hours talking and enjoying each other at the dinner table. Then it's showers, story and bed. 6yr old is 7pm bed time and 16 yr old is 9pm. When the weather is nice again it will be walks after dinner or trips to the park. 

LovlyRita
by Bronze Member on Feb. 11, 2014 at 9:05 PM
My girls are involved with sports, Girl Scouts, and a constant change of other activities. Our current schedule is

M: DD8 GS 6-7pm
MW: DD11 soccer all-star practice 6-7:30pm
T: GS DD11
T: Chorus 1:20-2:15
Sunday: Both Religious School (Hebrew) 9-12

DD8 is in between sports and is owed ballet lessons or cheerleading once I can find a class that meets in the evenings.

As long as they finish homework they are free to fill in free time with TV. They do not play video games because they do not like video games.
heisspecial2me
by on Feb. 11, 2014 at 9:06 PM
1 mom liked this
Well my 9 year old doesn't get off of the bus til 4 and then he goes straight to homework with a snack. Then when he finishes with homework it's usually close to 5 .then he can have his down time of whatever he wants to do from minecraft to video games. At 8:30 its bath or shower then bedtime. Don't get me wrong. If I was to get a bad grade or something wrong from that day then of course there would be no fun but as a parent we have to do what is best for our children. Mine never gets in any trouble.
momtoo4boyz
by Member on Feb. 11, 2014 at 9:26 PM
1 mom liked this
After school its homework. Get it done. Depending on the night there is Little League practice. If not a practice night its bike riding or playing basketball or something outside. Dinner around 6 or 7 then showers. After that they do what they want. Play Xbox, play inside, go on laptops or watch tv. Bed time is 830 for the 2 youngest and 9 for the older two. They can still watch tv in bed. All are a sleep by 10.
CalicoMeezer
by Bronze Member on Feb. 11, 2014 at 9:41 PM
1 mom liked this
Depends on dd's schedule and how her day goes.

On Tuesdays she has gymnastics/tumbling. Wednesdays is dance (it would be church if dance were another night). Thursdays we do a final push/drill on spelling and sight words for test Friday. She typically has homework sheets on Monday and Thursday nights. We also read for her book log and for fun.

Around that, free time is free time. Sometimes she plays, sometimes she watches TV.

Today, however, she is in trouble for getting a color card change at school amd hasn't been taking her spelling seriously, so there was no TV. Gymnastics was cancelled due to bad weather. She had to clean her room, do her homework, practice spelling words, and read. She's been doing a lot of extra reading because we're at the tail end of AR period and she's lacking 1 more quiz to get her points, plus she is doing a reading program to earn a ticket to Six Flags
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN