Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Puberty...but he's only 9!

Posted by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 7:50 AM
  • 20 Replies
So, last year my son Blake, started needing to wear deodorant. It was pretty much a daily thing and still is. I did my research and most of what I found said it was most likely due to his weight being a little higher than it should be and not a sign of early puberty. At his last doctor's visit in December his doc said he was overweight (although he carries it well, so its not excessive) and since then we've started eating healthier and exercising almost daily. Once it warms up we can do more, and he's decided to play football this fall, so I'm confident we will be able to help him be healthier in the long run.
The thing is, I'm not sure the weight issues are the cause. If they are, they seem to be causing more early onset puberty symptoms. The only research I've found is in reference to girls but it definitely cited obesity as a common factor in early onset puberty. He's been having major attitude problems, out of nowhere, and its becoming more and more frequent. I'm going to lose my mind! He will back talk, be openly defiant, challenge authority over the littlest things...and the next minute be my sweet little boy again, rambling on about pirates and TinTin.
Has anyone else had to deal with puberty symptoms this early? Any books or references to articles on how to deal with this kind of behavior with sacrificing my family's peace and sanity? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 7:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Clubpenguin
by Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 7:53 AM
My dd started needing deodorant when she turned 8. My ds is 10 and still doesn't need it.
cupcake_mom
by Silver Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 7:58 AM
I only have girls and they are no where near old enough for puberty yet, but here is a bump. Hope you can figure something out. Maybe you could to ds about what is going on with him, or have dh talk to him. He knows his body best.
MommyO2-6631
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 7:58 AM
This is my worst fear with my eight year old... I'm not ready for puberty! Good luck, hon. Remember that many moms have made it out the other side of this dark tunnel LOL (Not saying motherhood is "dark" just the pubescent years lol).
zadesmom1998
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 7:58 AM
Sounds like my ds now 10. At about nine and a half my sweet little innocent baby boy was acting like ds 15. Took him to the doc for a sports physical. And I was telling the doc about the mood swings and the body odor and everything else. Early on set puberty and three months ago the tell tale signs of puberty in my family migraines appeared. He's not over weight either. He's actually kind of small for his age. So I think it can just happen.
Andrewsmom70
by Gold Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 8:37 AM

It's more and more typical these days I think, thanks to all the hormones and additives in so many foods.

My son turned 8 in November and although we haven't hit BO yet, I noticed recently that he has peach fuzz on his balls. I about lost my mind. I didn't know it would happen this soon but I started my period in 3rd grade I think, maybe 4th but no later than that. So maybe it's genetic?!

We got The Boy's Body Book this week and he's been reading some in it. Ugh!

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 8:39 AM

Ds1 started wearing deodorant in 2nd gr, and noticed underarm hair about a month before he turned 10 (4th gr).

Ds2, 4th gr, just started wearing deodorant over this past summer, as did dd, 2nd gr. 

Some kids just hit puberty earlier than others.

NeonGirl9583
by Bronze Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 8:44 AM
My ds has worn d.o since he was 6. Here's a bump.
funny_girl3
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 8:49 AM

Yes, it happened with my son too.  And my son is not overweight, in fact he's always been underweight, we're talking 100th percentile for height and 50th for weight--he was a beanpole.  Then about a year and a half ago, when he was 9, he started putting on weight very fast, and having the same problems you are describing: back talk, defiance, which progressed to  huge mood swings, even rages where he would start throwing things around.  We took him to a therapist who put him on prozac to help with the mood swings.  So far it looks like he has bipolar, but they will not diagnose bipolar until he is 13, so until then he is being treated for an "unspecified mood disorder".  He just turned 11.  It's very frustrating when the doctors won't listen to you, I love our family doctor but he dismissed the idea of early puberty, even though I felt like that's what my son was experiencing.  So the doctors want me to believe that one day my son just lost him mind and completely changed his personality and physical appearance for no particular reason?  I have no advice for you except to bring your concerns to your son's doctor and make sure he or she listens to you.

Dodie702
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 9:17 AM
I went through puberty at 8. Its young, but not uncommon.
mommy053008
by Maria on Feb. 14, 2014 at 9:19 AM

i hit puberty at 11.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)