Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Question for math teachers...

Posted by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 9:08 AM
  • 17 Replies

We had pt conferences yesterday for dd and her math teacher told me that they don't teach mulitiplication beyond 2 and 2 digits because the rest is done with a calculator beyond that. Is this normal now? I remember being taught up much beyond that without being able to use a calculator. I thought that they should at least teach it through 3 and 3 or 4 and 3. 

DD is grade accelerated this year and she's doing great. They had a few concerns at her first conference socially but she's settled right in and is rocking it now. Her spelling level has gone from spelling words like with, faith, tomorrow, etc last year to spelling consequential, maneuverable, disguishable, ( a few from her most recent test) this year. Overall, I am very happy with the school. I just thought that this math issue was odd. 

by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 9:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mom2the.rescue
by Bronze Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 9:10 AM

I've heard of this.  They're being told it's a waste of time since everyone has a calculator available.  I think it's bullshit.  The girl who sits next to me in my college algebra class doesn't know a lot of basic math b/c of this. 

mom2the.rescue
by Bronze Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 9:10 AM

My kids so far have had to learn their times tables, and my kindergartner will be learning them soon too.

momtoBrenna
by Silver Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 9:12 AM

They will learn multiplication and divison facts through 12 and double digit multiplication and long division they just start using the calculator once they hit 3 digit times 2 digit multiplication. DD will learn beyond that without a calculator because I insist but I just thought that we, as a country, were moving towards better mathmeticians not weaker ones. 

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 9:28 AM

The theory is that once you know how to multiply a 2 digit number by another 2 digit number, you then have the knowledge to multiply a 3 digit number by a 2 digit number and wasting class time teaching a concept that the children should already know is silly.  They'd rather spend that time teaching higher levels of math at an earlier age, think algebra, geometry, trig . . .

A specific calculator is a required school supply for middle school and HS here.  So every kid does have a calculator.

momtoBrenna
by Silver Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 9:35 AM

She is in 3rd grade now and it starts next year in 4th grade that they start using a calculator. It isn't so much them needing to be taught it but, I think that they should be able to do it without a calculator. I don't think that mulitplying 124 and 12 should require a calculator when a bit of paper and less than a minute will get you the answer. 

Quoting steelcrazy:

The theory is that once you know how to multiply a 2 digit number by another 2 digit number, you then have the knowledge to multiply a 3 digit number by a 2 digit number and wasting class time teaching a concept that the children should already know is silly.  They'd rather spend that time teaching higher levels of math at an earlier age, think algebra, geometry, trig . . .

A specific calculator is a required school supply for middle school and HS here.  So every kid does have a calculator.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 9:43 AM

Then have her do it on paper at home.  Just because you know how to do it on paper, or in your head, doesn't mean that you ever will do it that way in the real world.  It really is redudancy.  Didn't you notice that they don't teach kids large number addition and subtraction either?  This is why the kids are now learning things at a much younger age than we learned them.  Parents are in here contantly complaining about their child learning multiplication in first grade instead of fourth grade and this is the reason why.  My fourth grader is doing algebra, I didn't learn that until middle school.

Quoting momtoBrenna:

She is in 3rd grade now and it starts next year in 4th grade that they start using a calculator. It isn't so much them needing to be taught it but, I think that they should be able to do it without a calculator. I don't think that mulitplying 124 and 12 should require a calculator when a bit of paper and less than a minute will get you the answer. 

Quoting steelcrazy:

momtoBrenna
by Silver Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 10:12 AM

Her school does teach large number addition and subtraction up through 10,000. They are currently doing area,perimeter, etc in class. They finish 8th grade with a minimum of high school Geometry credit and can go as high as Algebra 2 high school credit. I have no problem with her learning higher level math earlier. I was just surprised that they start using a calculator in 4th grade.

Quoting steelcrazy:

Then have her do it on paper at home.  Just because you know how to do it on paper, or in your head, doesn't mean that you ever will do it that way in the real world.  It really is redudancy.  Didn't you notice that they don't teach kids large number addition and subtraction either?  This is why the kids are now learning things at a much younger age than we learned them.  Parents are in here contantly complaining about their child learning multiplication in first grade instead of fourth grade and this is the reason why.  My fourth grader is doing algebra, I didn't learn that until middle school.

Quoting momtoBrenna:

Quoting steelcrazy:

Barabell
by Barbara on Feb. 14, 2014 at 12:56 PM
My son was taught to multiply and divide numbers greater than 2 digits in school, so I have not heard of this before. His elementary also teaches cursive still though, so maybe they're a little more old school in that regard.
momtoBrenna
by Silver Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 2:00 PM
1 mom liked this

Her school teaches cursive too. They mix new and old, I guess.

Quoting Barabell: My son was taught to multiply and divide numbers greater than 2 digits in school, so I have not heard of this before. His elementary also teaches cursive still though, so maybe they're a little more old school in that regard.

mommy053008
by Maria on Feb. 14, 2014 at 2:16 PM
I haven't heard of that either.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)