Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is It THAT Unheard Of?

Posted by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 11:27 AM
  • 62 Replies
2 moms liked this

DH and I only do small things for the kids on Valentine's day.
This year, they are each getting a small box of chocolates, ODD and DS are getting their stuff for their parties in class and YDD is getting a glow rose.

That's it.

DH and I, on the other hand, spent about $50 on each other, each.

The way I see it is, we go all out for Christmas, Easter, birthdays for them.

Today is about romantic love. So, we focus on doing for each other on this day.

I get some of the strangest looks when I tell people we really don't do for the kids on this holiday.

What's wrong with having ONE holiday dedicated to our love for each other? Seriously?

ETA:  I am featured!
I've been on CM for five years now, and this is the first time I've ever been featured! Yay!

Thank you, Admin!

by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 11:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JasonsMom2007
by Silver Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 11:28 AM
1 mom liked this
We don't celebrate it for anybody. Although today I'm using it as an excuse to have a family party :)
mommaFruFru
by Gold Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 11:28 AM
We only get the boys a small item and card. But df and myself don't get gifts for each other either.
mjande4
by Platinum Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 11:29 AM
4 moms liked this

There's nothing wrong with it, per se, but as I tell my students, if someone cares about you, then they should treat you well EVERY day, not just when Hallmark says you should.  To answer your question, we don't get our kids anything and they would cringe if we did.

momtoBrenna
by Silver Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 11:30 AM

We don't go big either. They each got some candy and DD got new bows but they just happened to arrive this week.

SewingMamaLele
by Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 11:31 AM
2 moms liked this
We don't get the kids anything. I told them this morning that they already got their Valentine's from their friends, daddy is my valentine and that's who I got something for. They don't need gifts on every single holiday.
smarieljlee
by Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 11:31 AM
2 moms liked this

I got the kids a donut...

nb34
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 11:33 AM
1 mom liked this

We don't really do anything for our kids. The only thing I do, is to get them valentines for their friends. Sometimes I bake special desert for all of us to share. Tonight they are going to grandma's house, so we can go on a date. Not every holiday should be about kids.

Pukalani79
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 11:43 AM

We dont do much on Valentines Day because our anniversary is the 17th.  Usually the kids get a small box of chocolate and that's it. I think today we're going out for ice cream.  Nothing big

mcginnisc
by Claire on Feb. 14, 2014 at 11:46 AM
1 mom liked this
We only do for the kids. Dh and I think it is a stupid holiday and have never celebrated it in 22 years.
Perle1
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 11:49 AM
1 mom liked this
I don't know anyone who bought a lot of stuff for their kids on valentines day. It's always been a funny card and small gift like a little stuffed animal or sweet treat.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)