Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would this upset you? (re: snow days)

Posted by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 2:48 PM
  • 85 Replies
We had 5 weather day cancellations in January, and normally we have 3 or fewer snow days in a school year. I just found out yesterday that the district has decided NOT to have any make up days.

Our elementary schools (in district) already only have 173 days of school a year, so now they will only have 168 this year.

I looked online, and our state Board of Education only requires 935 hours of instruction, which is roughly 165 days of school. The same article said the schools lose no money on closed days because they're funded in a per-pupil basis.

Would you be upset if your kids' district didn't have make up days?

Do you think the school year my son is having is adequate in length?
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 2:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
soymujer
by Mikki on Feb. 14, 2014 at 2:54 PM
1 mom liked this

I wouldn't be upset if we didn't make up days. 

family in the van   Mom of four

mjmorrison
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 2:58 PM

in NJ it's based on days not hours, so all the snow days have to be made up. they already have the kids going to school on presidents and mlk days to make up.

2-point-doe
by Silver Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 3:03 PM

We are also based on days, 180 days.

diaperstodating
by Queen25Princes on Feb. 14, 2014 at 3:05 PM

No I wouldn't be upset.

weberbaby
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 3:11 PM

I'd be happy!  We now have school on Memorial Day to make up for too many lost days.  I'd rather lose a day during Easter break or none at all!

coolmommy2x
by Platinum Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 3:12 PM
I think we have to have so many days. I don't mind make up days, we have missed a lot of days. The kids haven't haf a full week of school in weeks.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
xtwistedxlovex
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 3:14 PM
1 mom liked this

No. They're still beyond the minimum requirement anyway. Sounds like they intentionally go beyond requirements so it isn't a big deal if they fall short.

twinplus2
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 3:41 PM

I would be ok. After several snow days  in a row, the teachers are really good about putting lessons plans on their website. (I live in a very snowy locale (top 10 in US) with great snowplow service so snow days are  very rare).

My kids so enjoy summer  break/camp that they would much rather "home school" during inclement weather than loose summer days!

SahmTam
by Tammy on Feb. 14, 2014 at 3:51 PM

We're required to go 180 days (or some amount of hours- 990??- not sure- our school doesn't go by hours.) The only way to not make them up is to appeal it, which our school district has (we've had 7 snow days so far), but so far it has been denied.

I would LOVE if it would be approved and at least a few of the days didn't have to be made up. I don't think the kids will be doing anything those last few days anyway, except getting antsy for summer vacation!

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

momtoBrenna
by Silver Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 3:54 PM

DD has had 8 and they don't have to make any up. The state gives us 5 days and the school builds in 4 days so we still have another before we start makeup days. Next year, they will go based off of hours and our school schedules almost 4 extra weeks worth of hours based off of the requirements.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)