Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Common core

Posted by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 4:56 PM
  • 3 Replies
Can someone explain the conspiracy and/or reason for the conspiracies? Is it slowing down our youth or helping them grow?
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 4:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
diaperstodating
by Queen25Princes on Feb. 14, 2014 at 4:59 PM
Everyone has a different opinion about Common Core. My county has done a great job explaining it. They have offered several meetings for parents since the beginning of the year to explain it. My sons elementary school/ PTA has invited people from the county to come to the school to explain it to the parents on a more personal level.
Verrine
by Bronze Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 5:52 PM
1 mom liked this

Our county has done a lousy job with the transition. It is dribbling out the curriculum to the teachers and then changing things after that! The Common Core itself is solid in that it focuses on skill-building. The district hasn't decided to scrap some of the old tests, so now there are more required tests than ever. 

In math, the Kindergarten curriculum is now focusing on "number sense" so that the children can understand how numbers behave instead of memorizing various tricks for no reason. 

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Feb. 14, 2014 at 6:30 PM

As a teacher I am very happy with changes that have come with Common Core. 

I also see that most of the concerns people have are either with curriculum decisions their schools are making (which really isn't Common Core) or it's misinformation that's being spread for political reasons. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)