Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What punishment would you expect?

Posted by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 6:26 PM
Max
  • 21 Replies

Suppose your ten year old child wrote a highly offensive note about a school employee including cursing and threats and then lied and blamed it on a classmate. 

What action would you expect the school to take? What would you do about it?

by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 6:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wakymom
by Ruby Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 6:29 PM
1 mom liked this

The threats would get the kid suspended here. . . at least I think it would.

As for at home, an apology note to the empolyee would be written, and there'd be a major grounding- no friends, no electronics.

SahmTam
by Tammy on Feb. 14, 2014 at 6:30 PM

I'm not sure what I would do exactly. I'd start with making them write an apology letter and a long talk to try to figure out WHAT was going on in their head.

I'd have to look up policies on threats in our handbook- suspension?? Whatever they did our school is generally very fair and handles situations well, so I would think I'd be 100% behind them.

anotherandree
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 6:31 PM
This. I might even include having my kid write an essay about being compassionate and expressing anger appropriately. Since they would be grounded from ALL activities.

Quoting wakymom:

As for at home, an apology note to the empolyee would be written, and there'd be a major grounding- no friends, no electronics.

LadyAmaranth
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 6:32 PM

I'd expect they discuss it with me and who the note was about.

Then I expect a short suspension OR perhaps helping that employee out with their job for a few days.

Plus, I'd be grounding my child for a while.

jaytee
by Jen on Feb. 14, 2014 at 6:37 PM
Exactly this.

Quoting wakymom:

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 6:44 PM

Expulsion and as a teacher I would not accept anything else.

jamianne
by Silver Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 6:50 PM

I'd have to look it up to be certain, but I'm fairly sure the threats would earn a suspension here.  

I can't even imagine what I would do at home - a written apology at the very least as well as losing all electronics, privileges, and extracurriculars.  And I'd be looking very hard for where they got the idea that something like that is at all acceptable.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 6:54 PM

I woud expect my child to be suspended for writing threats to anyone, staff members included.  Little Snowflake would be getting one heck of a talking to and be losing privileges for at least the day(s) that he is suspended from school, possibly longer.

mommy053008
by Maria on Feb. 14, 2014 at 7:11 PM
Suspension possible expulsion.
Pnukey
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 7:57 PM

I would expect the child to write an apology note and since elementary school doesn't generally have detention, a loss of privileges for about 2 weeks. If the school has a counselor, I'd like that kid to meet with the counselor about what appropriate behavior is.

I had this happen to me with 2 girls in class last year. I embarrassed them by reading the note to the class, gave them 2 weeks of detention, told their parents, and had them write me an apology. They also go referrals for being sexually inappropriate.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)