Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

does anyone else have to pay for their kids to ride the school bus

Posted by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 10:42 PM
  • 228 Replies
our district in CA you did. 1 dollar each way you bought tickets in thr main school office, or for the kids who were everyday riders you could buy a bus pass for the year. if your kids rode alot its generally much cheaper to buy the pass. the money made from these sales went to buying new busses, hiring more drivers and mainting the busses. and yes this was a public school district. now we live in alabama and the kids dont pay to ride the busses here. i noticed they are generally in alot worse shape, very old and constantly breaking down. and my kids go to a "good" school....does anyone else have to pay for their kids to ride the school bus?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 10:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LeilaBeansMom
by Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 10:43 PM
4 moms liked this
I have never heard of that before. Makes sense as a program though.
lovemysnugbugs
by Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 10:44 PM
In my town you have to pay $150 if you live within 2 miles of the school. I just drive my son instead.
Cheribomb
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 10:45 PM

same here,  $150 per year, we just drive

Quoting lovemysnugbugs: In my town you have to pay $150 if you live within 2 miles of the school. I just drive my son instead.

Photobucket

KRIZZ25
by Bronze Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 10:46 PM
THAT IS CRAZY ..
m0mmy0ftw02012
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 10:47 PM
11 moms liked this

Wow... Never heard of that.... We pay a crap load of taxes so our kids can ride the school bus "free". That's crazy to me.

liveforever
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 10:47 PM
1 mom liked this
Were a walking district, no bussing here.
SewingMamaLele
by Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 10:54 PM
Buses are offered for kids who live more than a mile from school, and they cost $7-800/year, I can't remember. We drive. I'd want to be on campus everyday anyway.

Buses are mostly used by the parents that work full time and have elderly grandparents caring for the kids, and older latchkey kids who go to school across town.
caligirl7613
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 10:57 PM
back home (ca) it went by which school level you were in. everyone had to pay to ride but elementary kids who lived closer than half mile could not be bussed, middle schoolers closer than 1 mile could not be bussed and high schoolers it was 2 miles. here, we live less than 1 quarter mile and they get picked up pretty much in our driveway.

Quoting lovemysnugbugs: In my town you have to pay $150 if you live within 2 miles of the school. I just drive my son instead.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
caligirl7613
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 10:59 PM
your higher taxes probably offset the costs of repairs etc.

Quoting m0mmy0ftw02012:

Wow... Never heard of that.... We pay a crap load of taxes so our kids can ride the school bus "free". That's crazy to me.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
caligirl7613
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 11:01 PM
ive never heard of a district (not public anyway) that didnt offer bussing at all. we would be screwed if that was the case. we are a 1 car family and DH has to be at work way before school starts

Quoting liveforever: Were a walking district, no bussing here.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)