Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

does anyone else have to pay for their kids to ride the school bus

Posted by   + Show Post
our district in CA you did. 1 dollar each way you bought tickets in thr main school office, or for the kids who were everyday riders you could buy a bus pass for the year. if your kids rode alot its generally much cheaper to buy the pass. the money made from these sales went to buying new busses, hiring more drivers and mainting the busses. and yes this was a public school district. now we live in alabama and the kids dont pay to ride the busses here. i noticed they are generally in alot worse shape, very old and constantly breaking down. and my kids go to a "good" school....does anyone else have to pay for their kids to ride the school bus?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 10:42 PM
Replies (71-80):
auntangelofsix
by Angel on Feb. 15, 2014 at 9:06 PM
Same here.

Quoting liveforever: Were a walking district, no bussing here.
GwenMB
by Gwen on Feb. 15, 2014 at 10:01 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes, we are both in MN (we've discussed being in MN before).

Quoting Indiemom880:

Are you guys sure you live in the same state?

Quoting GwenMB:

That's not true.  In my school district, the town kids who live within a certain distance from the school can only ride the bus if they pay.  I think most, if not all, high school students have to pay if they live in town.

Based on the drop off/pick up lines I see at the middle school, I think most kids must get driven to school if its just a bit far to walk (or when its bitterly cold).

Quoting Barabell:

No.

I had a teacher tell me it was against our state law for the schools to charge for bus transportation within the district boundaries. I don't know if that's true, but at the same time, I don't know anyone who pays for it.

bc19
by Member on Feb. 15, 2014 at 10:31 PM
No, I have never heard of paying to ride. I grew up in GA an am now in FL. I consider us lucky right now. We live a 10 minute sedate walk from the elementary school, probably 15 minutes to two high schools ( they each have different programs do you pick which one you want), and the middle school is a 10 minute drive away.
mommaFruFru
by Gold Member on Feb. 16, 2014 at 7:28 AM
our busses are free, and either school, or independent bus driver owned. So most are older, at least 15 years old. But still in great shape.

In Louisville, I know they have middle and high school.students use public transportation buses if the high/ middle school they want to attend is out of their busing zone, and students must pay for that
ScrChk23
by Bronze Member on Feb. 16, 2014 at 10:14 AM
I have never heard of it.
NeonGirl9583
by Bronze Member on Feb. 16, 2014 at 10:16 AM
Nope. They ride my mom's bus. She's an aid on it.
mom4awesomekids
by Bronze Member on Feb. 16, 2014 at 10:16 AM
No
Pukalani79
by Silver Member on Feb. 16, 2014 at 10:57 AM

Wow. I've never heard of that before

SewingMamaLele
by Member on Feb. 16, 2014 at 11:49 AM
They're considered a luxury, and most parents here can afford it. They have talked about discontinuing busing altogether because even with charging that much, it costs the district a lot of money to offer it every year.

Quoting Indiemom880:

Holy crap! It surprises me there aren't tons of parents complaining/not being able to pay for that. I could afford it, but we also have a higher income than most families. I know a lot of people at my kids school would really struggle to pay for that. You'd think you could call them a cab every day for that price!

Quoting SewingMamaLele: Buses are offered for kids who live more than a mile from school, and they cost $7-800/year, I can't remember. We drive. I'd want to be on campus everyday anyway.

Buses are mostly used by the parents that work full time and have elderly grandparents caring for the kids, and older latchkey kids who go to school across town.

dmom27
by Bronze Member on Feb. 16, 2014 at 12:04 PM

We live in CA, and yes, we always had to pay for the bus.  $125 per quarter.  Now, we no longer have buses at all.  The school was on a tight budget, and that was the first cut that they made.  They told parents that they could cut buses or two teachers.  They chose to cut the buses, and now everyone drives their children to school.  The only time that it's really tough is field trips.  The field trip cannot happen unless enough parents are able / willing to drive, and most of the parents do not have enough insurance coverage to get approved.  =( 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)