Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

End of year awards (sports)....which one?

Posted by on Feb. 23, 2014 at 11:32 PM
  • 17 Replies

Poll

Question: Which one should kids get at the end of the sports season for participating?

Options:

Trophies

Ribbons

Medals

Shirts

Certificates

Nothing

Other (please share what you think)

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 27

View Results

I hate trophies. I think they are just dust collectors. Growing up, trophies were given to only 1st and 2nd place teams. Everyone else got participant ribbons or certificates. Yesterday, my twins' team won their indoor soccer league and received shirts. Though they wanted a trophy, they did love their shirts even more. As a mom....I do too.

So, what do you think kids should get for participating in sports (I'm not talking about winning the league...just playing).
by on Feb. 23, 2014 at 11:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Feb. 24, 2014 at 12:26 AM

Either ribbons or certificates since those can be framed or put in a scrapbook.

ljmom24
by Bronze Member on Feb. 24, 2014 at 6:20 AM
For participation I am fine with a ribbon or certificate.

For baseball they used to do trophies for everyone. Now they were relatively cheap ones (more then 1 broke) plus after 4 years in baseball running out of room. So this year they have trophies to tball and clinic kids and minor and major they gave out first place and city champ individual ones. Lots of disappointment. Now my ds was on the first place team so not and issue in our house. Each kid and adult volunteer gets a tshirt.

Other sports we have done give nothing or a certificate. In hockey they get sticks.
cpmommy
by Member on Feb. 24, 2014 at 7:08 AM

I hate participation trophies.  To me, a trophy = a win.  My son has received a couple participations trophies/medals, and they just sit, collecting dust or are broken in the bottom of his closet.  If they want to acknowledge participation, a shirt, certificate, or something that doesn't become a "dust collector" is perfect, IMO!

disneymom2two
by Silver Member on Feb. 24, 2014 at 7:35 AM

I like the idea of shirts as its something that can be used and promotes the sport.  Certificates are fine, too.  I think trophies, at least for the older kids, should be reserved for placing.  When my son was really little (4, 5) and in karate, if you participated in the tournament you get a ribbon; that was phased out as the kids grew older.

Fairegirl33
by on Feb. 24, 2014 at 8:12 AM

I would normally say a certificate would be good for the kiddos but since Tshirt was an option, I answered that.

mommy053008
by Maria on Feb. 24, 2014 at 8:22 AM
My daughter loves medals.
GwenMB
by Gwen on Feb. 24, 2014 at 9:41 AM

I agree - gotta have something for the scrapbook! lol

T-shirts are a good option as well, at least if your child will wear it (mine won't always, my older son prefers long sleeves even in super hot weather).

Quoting frndlyfn:

Either ribbons or certificates since those can be framed or put in a scrapbook.

huskermom98
by Silver Member on Feb. 24, 2014 at 10:12 AM

Need a multiple choice option!

I too prefer a certificate because I am a scrapbooker-- for my oldest son a t-shirt would be cool, but my youngest would never wear one because he too only wears long-sleeve shirts (with no printed designs...).  Medals are ok because they are small, but can't scrapbook those!  My oldest has done several seasons with the Upward organization (soccer, flag football, basketball) and gets a gift/prize at the end of the year--the good ones have been a ball for that sport or a backpack, but last season's FF gift was a trophy...my son loved it because he finally got a trophy, but it just collects dust on his desk (he would have another trophy if his little league team had won the championship game last year...should have won because they were the best team...that would have at least been an earned trophy!)

Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Feb. 24, 2014 at 11:16 AM
I would pay a little more for a tshirt but I do have a book for certificates or ribbons.

I agree that troohys should only go to the winners.

DDs gymnastics meet (pre-team level) had a good idea. Each child got a medal. Then the child got a ribbon for their placement in any event 1-4th and participation.
highlandmum
by Bronze Member on Feb. 24, 2014 at 12:07 PM

Depends on the age.  For the younger ones (4-6) I would say a ribbon, medal or a small trophy the children get very excited.  Now as they get older (6+) I do not believe in them getting anything unless they win or are a finalist in the year end tournament.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)